Garmin Nuvi Phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hah116, Jan 30, 2008.

1. hah116 macrumors newbie

2. oldimac macrumors regular

3. aerospace macrumors 6502a

I am eager to see it in action. Hopefully they won't make it super expensive, tie it to a carrier, or have extra high usage costs.

That being said it seems that when a company does one thing well they do bring something new to the party. Apple being known the world over for ease of use/elegant design create the first imho easy to use phone thats not just a phone. Perhaps garmin will create the first phone where gps is totally awesome and can't be lived without.

In the end even if it is not the greatest phone it may also force other handset makers to step up thier gps offerings and be great for the consumer. If the iphone offered flawless gps maps and directions I would pay an extra monthly charge(course free is always better) and be 100% satisfied with it. RIght now it is the best phone I've ever had by far, but could be lived without.

4. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I would count on it being close to $1000 when it is first released. Why? Last February, I bought two Garmin Nuvi 680 GPS units. I bought them on Day one, they were sold only at BestBuy and the price was $1000 each. That was just for one of the best GPS units they sold. Now add a phone to a full feature GPS and undoutably it will have a hefty price tag.

5. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

I'd rather have an iPhone with GPS I suppose.

RE: $1000 price tag. Sure you *can* spend that much on day one for a high-end project, but that isn't what the technology costs. Do you know how much Garmin must mark that up provided they also sell much less expensive units that are nearly as feature rich? Anyways, my guess is $499 or less if they want to compete. And they're software better not Microsuck.

6. Trent0341 macrumors 6502

I'm interested to see its feature set. I have a garmin GPS and think they did a good job on the user interface. Maybe the skyfire browser? Googles android? 3g? It would take a lot to tear me away from my iPhone but I like to see competition.

7. aerospace macrumors 6502a

Not 100% on this but I would guess a new gps unit would likely be successful if they sold 10-50k units. A phone could theoretically sell 10million in an 18mo window(iphone as likely for example) which means they would not need nearly as large a markup to start and $1000 price tag would likely make selling huge numbers impossible.

8. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

looks awesome. seriously. but wonder what the battery life and cost is on this?

9. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Note the similarities.... :eek:

Hey, I've been using Garmin GPS for flying for years and years. Garmin makes great stuff.

If there's anything that could actually compete against the iPhone, it's this Garmin...

Competition to keep Apple on its toes is great!

Attached Files:

10. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Anybody noticed the "Arnold Kim" name on the demo photo? Hmm ;)

11. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

Does this mean the odds of seeing Garmin release anything for the iPhone (future) is slim to none?

12. rayward macrumors 65816

There's something about the design, and the screenshot, that looks vaguely familiar...

13. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

:p

I don't think Garmin will bother with iPhone software until the iPhone has a built in GPS..

I have a Nextel phone for work with GPS and it stinks compared to my Garmins - but I would imagine that Garmin makes better GPS devices than Motorola...

I don't know how good a GPS in an iPhone would be compared to the Garmin one.

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I LOVE IT!

Not so much the phone (don't know much yet) but the fact that all the cool new phones are coming from non-cell phone companies! Apple turned their iPod experience into the best media phone. Garmin turns their GPS experience into the best GPS phone.

What's next? Nikon making a phone with the world's best phone-camera?

Dunno, but I find all of this MUCH more exciting than seeing the same Nokia/Motorolla recyled ideas for the millionth time.

I like this a lot!

15. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

Probably would have to be a Canon to take that title. :D

16. kdawg macrumors regular

kdawg

Canon? :eek: BLECH!
    I much prefer my Nikon thanks... But not to dig on you, I think it's all just personal preference. But I sure like this Garmin Phone

17. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

Ha Ha that is exactly what I was going to say! :D

18. myphone macrumors 6502

myphone

19. myphone macrumors 6502

myphone

Garmin Phone? It might be okey. I still love the Apple/Safari interface.

20. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

VERY good points! It's really a great new age for phones thanks to Apple.

Having said that I *love* my iphone!

Regards -

21. iPegboy macrumors regular

I'm stunned this isn't generating more buzz. 3G and GPS.. I don't really think it will be super expensive. Garmin already makes software for smartphones with GPS to put it's maps on ($99).

I'm a cell phone free agent in late March and was going to iPhone, but this made me stop in my tracks.

This phone will be a major player if a) the price is near the iPhone ($399-ish) and b) the data plans are the same.

22. kevd00d macrumors member

it looks pretty good, a lot like the iphone, and i'm sure the features may be a bit better than the iphone since Garmin had time to improve on certain iphone fallacies (i.e. multiple sms [pre-1.1.3], mms, gps)

good luck to them...

anyone know which carrier will offer it?

23. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Garmin must really be worried about Apple-Google Navi taking their market away.

I have a Nuvi, but frankly if Apple adds GPS to the iPhone one less device for me to carry around.

Nuvifone webpage
    [​IMG]

24. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

From their press release:

I love this disclaimer at the end

25. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Probably because it isn't real yet. All the photos are mock-ups and the details of the phone are very light.

This all points to a phone that's still being designed. Hopefully they can actually make it all work.

Once they show an actual working phone to the public, that's when they'll get press.

That's the point that the iPhone got attention. Apple just skipped over the "show mockup drawings and vague ideas" part of the plan which is what you're seeing here.