Garry's Mod

Discussion in 'iMac' started by clockworks90, May 14, 2014.

1. clockworks90 macrumors newbie

Please take the time to read this and answer. Thank you. :)

Ok so I'm curious about what kind of games the 21.5 inch iMac can play. I know Macs aren't the best for playing games but I still want a Mac. One of the games I'm interested in is Garry's Mod which requires NVIDIA GeForce 8 and ATI X1600 or higher and intel 3000. I'll be honest but I have no clue what those are except for the fact that they're graphics cards or something (I apologize for being a noob with computers). All I want to know is will the lowest end iMac desktop be able to run this game without any upgrades?

Please answer because this is really confusing me right now. Thanks!

(I apologize again for being a noob at the computer. But that doesn't mean I'm just a dumb consumer. I'm buying a Mac for other reasons as well. Not just for gaming)

Here are the specs of the iMac 21.5 inch

2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz) with 4MB L3 cache

8GB (two 4GB) of 1600MHz DDR3 memory

1TB (5400-rpm) hard drive

Intel Iris Pro graphics

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, the lowest end current iMac should be able to run the game without a problem. It has the Intell Iris Pro 5200 graphics which are more powerful than the minimum requirement of the Intell 3000HD.

3. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

While it will work, I would advise that you save up for the model with an Nvidia graphics card.

4. itsOver9000 macrumors 6502

itsOver9000

It should run fine. I can play Day of Defeat: Source, another HL2/Source engine game, just fine on my 2012 MBA and Mac mini under OS X. That's with the HD4000 and even with a 1080p monitor the mini does well.

5. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

Garry's Mod runs absolutely fine on my mid-2009 MacBook Pro... I think it'll definitely run fine on a new iMac!