Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Gartner: 1 Billion PCs In Use (and counting...)

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Gartner has announced that more than 1 billion personal computers are in use worldwide, and the number should double by 2014 driven largely by emerging market sales.

"Mature markets such as the United States, Western Europe, and Japan currently account for 58 percent of the world’s installed PCs, but these markets only account for 15 percent of the world’s population," said George Shiffler, research director at Gartner. "There's a startling difference in per capita PC penetration between mature and emerging markets. Of course, much of this difference reflects the disparity in average living standards between mature and emerging markets. But, rapid economic development across emerging markets is not only narrowing the disparity in average living standards, it's closing the difference in per capita PC penetration between mature and emerging markets."

"We expect per capita PC penetration in emerging markets to double by 2013," added Mr. Shiffler. "Rapid penetration in emerging markets is being driven by the explosive expansion of broadband and wireless connectivity in these markets, the continuing fall in PC average selling prices (ASPs), and the general realization that PCs are an indispensable tool for advancement."

Apple has recently done very well in the United States, experiencing some of the highest growth rates in the industry.

International sales have typically consisted of 40-50% of Apple's revenue, and Apple specifically noted that they were experiencing marketshare growth in virtually all European and Asian countries during their 1Q 2008 conference call.

Article Link

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Tried to get some more detailed info on how Apple is doing in "emerging markets." My guess is that Apple actually isn't doing as well as others are because they don't do cheap stuff. However, as long as they're able to expand in pretty saturated markets like US and Europe and NE Asia, they'll be fine for the time being.

Comment

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
I have more computers NOT in use than I have computers in use. Now world numbers for that would be something really interesting to figure out. :D

Comment

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
Tried to get some more detailed info on how Apple is doing in "emerging markets." My guess is that Apple actually isn't doing as well as others are because they don't do cheap stuff. However, as long as they're able to expand in pretty saturated markets like US and Europe and NE Asia, they'll be fine for the time being.

For them to ignore China, India and Brazil would be suicide.

They've got to have a plan and it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Comment

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
i tried to get a number of macs among these 1b computers, sorry no data available...... anybody has any?

Comment

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

It looks like Apple is making a dent in the international market but I would like to see at least a percentage of the computers that are Macs. If anyone knows where that data can be found please share.

Comment

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
i tried to get a number of macs among these 1b computers, sorry no data available...... anybody has any?

I think its around 25 to 30 million.

In the long term yes, but in the near term its not worth targeting them, they aren't able to afford expensive hardware and they generally can't afford software so they pirate it.

There is no money to be made there at the moment.

Comment

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
I dont see why a company should have to cater to all markets to be succesful or profitable, where's the logic in that? Apple could continue to do fine without expanding into emerging markets, surely?

Comment

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Tried to get some more detailed info on how Apple is doing in "emerging markets." My guess is that Apple actually isn't doing as well as others are because they don't do cheap stuff.

FWIW I looked up some figures for eastern Europe recently to compare them to Linux and Apple had around a 0.4% share there, which was generally lower than Linux's 0.5% share.

Comment

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
I
In the long term yes, but in the near term its not worth targeting them, they aren't able to afford expensive hardware and they generally can't afford software so they pirate it.

Brazil, India and China have extremely fast growing middle classes. Broadband connections in China will outpace broadband connections in the US by the end of this year.

While it's true that the vast majority of the citizens don't have much money if even only 5% of the populations of India and China can afford a Mac, that's a potential market of well over 100 million people.

IMO, and the opinion of many other businesses, ignoring China and India is suicidal.

Apple needs to have a game plan for emerging markets, especially since population growth in Japan, North America and Europe is levelling off.

Comment

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Brazil, India and China have extremely fast growing middle classes.

The middle class in those countries still only earn a tiny fraction of the middle class in the UK, that the cost of living is around 4x lower means they can get by on much less money. They also probably don't have the same standard of living as the middle class in the UK do, and it certainly doesn't mean they can afford expensive $1000+ Macs.

Comment

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
I bet PC knew his news ticker would come in handy one day…

Comment

FullGaz

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2007
To me, the major factor in slow growth in middle eastern countries is the appalling right-to-left support generally in Mac applications such as iWork, iLife, iTunes as well as iPods and iPhones and even Microsoft Office. Therefore I can't see Apple's share growing very fast in Hebrew and Arabic speaking countries. Now this is a weird problem since OS X supports perfectly right-to-left languages. But when the applications don't follow...

Also, I know that in Israel for instance Macs are about 50% more expensive than in England :eek: which in itself is huge a barrier to growth.

Yet, Apple will be distributing the iPhones in such countries as Egypt and Jordan (but not Israel :confused:). Go figure...

Comment

bigmc6000

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2006

They've got to have a plan and it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Apple's plan: Hope the dollar continues to go in the *****ter thus making it a bit cheaper to sell stuff over seas. If the dollar becomes strong again you can kiss any headway into those markets goodbye...

Comment

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
point of order...

Longofest, the quote says "by 2013" but your article says "by 2014"... which I guess is pretty much true, but it seems silly to have different dates in the same article, no?

Comment

Coprolite

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Apple doesn't have to cater to emerging markets...

Apple can just keep on doing what it is doing. In SE Asia, Macs are viewed as status symbols and are priced accordingly. I am writing this from a Thai MB. Apple will have plenty of hardware market share.

As for the remark about hoping the dollar keeps going down....I am little confused by the logic, the machines are sourced and manufactured in China. The dollar strength or weakness wouldn't really impact profits in China/India as the Macs are actually local products. The Chinese Yuan was still pegged to the dollar last time I checked....

Comment

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Apple will do fine in China and Russia. These economies are exploding, and the rich classes are expanding and grabbing at status symbols.

As long as Apple keeps their status as an aspirational computer, linked with leisure time, intellectualism, and creativity, they'll be fine.

Bringing out a cheaper Apple computer for emerging markets would devalue the brand. While it might be a short term win, it would be a long term disaster. Steve Jobs knows this very well.

Comment

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Apple will do fine in China and Russia. These economies are exploding, and the rich classes are expanding and grabbing at status symbols.

As long as Apple keeps their status as an aspirational computer, linked with leisure time, intellectualism, and creativity, they'll be fine.

Bringing out a cheaper Apple computer for emerging markets would devalue the brand. While it might be a short term win, it would be a long term disaster. Steve Jobs knows this very well.

No poor people in the cult. They smell bad. Let them use PCs. :rolleyes:

Comment

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
No poor people in the cult. They smell bad. Let them use PCs. :rolleyes:

Tell me about it. I'd love everyone to have a cheap OSX machine. Just cos I understand Steve Job's reasons for keeping Apple equipment expensive doesn't mean I think it's morally right.

(Apple gear is like crack - once you try it you can't go back)

Comment

jodelli

Contributor
Jan 6, 2008
Windsor, ON, Canada

Yeah but according to
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2004-10/27/content_386060.htm :
"The Chinese Academy of Social Sciences (CASS) released a report earlier this year that suggested China's "middle class" accounted for 19 per cent of the country's 1.3 billion population by 2003."
That's 250 million people.

And from
http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0102/p01s02-woap.html :
"Although Chinese economic output has been growing by around 10 percent a year, domestic consumption has grown much more slowly; in fact consumption's share of GDP has fallen from 47 percent to 37 percent over the last decade."

GDP figure based on official exchange rate: 3.251 trillion (2007 est.) That would put the consumption figure around $1.2 trillion.
GDP figure based on purchasing power parity: $6.991 trillion (2007 est.) That would put the consumption figure around $2.6 trillion.
Pick which figure Apple prefers to sneeze at.

GDPs from:
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ch.html

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.