Gary's Mod type game for mac?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Nckcard, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Nckcard macrumors regular

I was wondering if anyone knew of a gary's mod type game for mac?

Gary's Mod is basically a sandbox type thing, with characters, objects, vehicles, NPCs, and more from games like half life, half life two, counter strike, etc. You can spawn any of these things, and more, add things to them, like boosters for example, for all of your flying storage box needs. Enemies attack you, and you can add good/bad enemies to have a war with each other.

I love this game and the only place i could play it was a computer gaming place a few blocks away, which recently closed. I COULD try bootcamp, but i'm not even sure if my computer will run valve (required for gary's mod). [i have a first generation iMac 22" btw]

Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It'll run just fine in Windows via Boot Camp.

3. Nckcard thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, but i guess what I'm asking is is there a game like it made for mac?

4. palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

We should make a rule that saying it will run on bootcamp is never going to be an option :p

You can use Crossover Games to run Gary's Mod via Steam. check it out. There are some compatibility issues but it works for the most part. Probably your best bet.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It'll run more than fine on any Intel iMac. Next on my list that.

And no, there aren't any. There are 2D physics games (Phun) but for something as detailed and comprehensive as Garry's Mod... There's only Garry's Mod.

6. Nckcard thread starter macrumors regular

How would I go about doing that?

7. XianPalin macrumors 6502

XianPalin

Get a ps3 and get LittleBigPlanet when it comes out. The amount of customization/creation you can do is pretty absurd, and I believe some have compared it to having something like Gary's Mod.

8. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

yayayayayayayayayayayayayayayayyayayayayayaya :D
    LBP is really easy too.

9. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

Garry's Mod is an extremely unique game. If there aren't any Gmod alternatives for PC, what makes you think there will be a Gmod alternative for Mac? :confused: :rolleyes:

Your best bet is to run it through Windows + Boot Camp, or take a look at Crossover Games (which I've never gotten to work, but hey- it's worth a try). ;)

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh good god no. Has them people even played Garry's Mod? It's much more than LBP, which is essentially a highly complex level editor. GM supports god knows how many game modes, the ability to make new game modes, much more complex sandbox options (LBP operates on a 2D plane, GM is 3D).

GM is basically a user friendly front end to the Source SDK, LBP is basically a complex level editor. Both allow for user created content. But then again so does BlastWorks, Smash Bros Brawl, Halo 3...

11. Nckcard thread starter macrumors regular

I'm looking into getting it for windows and bootcamp, but i have to wait about a week to get the winows XP disk off my friend to do it, and then I have to download steam and buy GM and Counter strike or something...

12. palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

Go to google and type crossover games. click the first link that comes up.

13. beered macrumors newbie

gary's mod

i want to now where i can dowload gary's mod i want it it's is a funny game:cool::D:apple:

14. BradenG macrumors regular

You might be able to find older version of it on the internet..but it's not just a free mod anymore - it's got a $10 price tag I believe.