Gas Stove installation question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by barkomatic, Feb 11, 2011.

1. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I bought a Frigidaire gas stove and want to have it hooked up. The problem is the gas pipe connector protrudes about 2 inches from the wall -- so that there would be a gap between the wall and the back of the stove. If possible I'd like to have it flush up against the wall because it looks better and provides more clearance in my narrow kitchen.

The back of the stove is divided into two sections. The upper portion is covered by a metal plate backing. The lower part is without a backing and open to allow the gas to be hooked up. There seems to be a significant amount of void space in the oven body and I've read that some people are able to push the stove flush against the wall so that the pipe is actually nestled *inside* the stove. However, the the gas pipe on my particular wall would be blocked by the metal plate on the upper portion of my stove.

My question is, if I remove that plate (attached by 4 screws and just slides right out) would it be safe to allow the metal pipe to nestle inside the stove? I called up the company, and they wouldn't say one way or the other. My concern is that hot places inside the stove might be too close to the pipe and cause me to go to an early grave after a massive explosion. It occurred to me that the metal backing is actually a heat shield and should not be removed.

I'm going to have the stove installed by a professional--but I thought it couldn't hurt to have a little knowledge about how other people have dealt with this problem. The gas pipe itself can't be moved or altered by the way--so that's out.

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I wouldn't want that pipe inside the stove at all.
    Most stoves have adjustable legs, that will allow the stove to actually be up above the gas fitting, and therefore flush with with the wall.

3. barkomatic thread starter macrumors 68040

Unfortunately, the pipe is about a foot and a half off the floor.

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Kinda makes me wonder what the plumber that did that was smoking.:D