Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xerostyles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
I rarely post here, but I can't stomach the countless ignorant posts that swarm this board immediately after a product launch.

Please stop whining over MMS and Video Recording and take a moment to understand that the SDK allows for these apps.

Apple did not implement either in 2.0, correct... Did you forget about the eager iPhone developer community?

Said community will launch their own 3rd party MMS and Video Recording apps within weeks of launch day, if not on launch day itself.

Wake up, people. Stocks is merely an app. Weather is merely an app. SMS is merely an app. MMS and Video are merely NEW apps. They already exist in the unlocked iPhone arena, it is literally a matter of porting code.

If you honestly believe that 2.0 will not have Video Recording and MMS you don't deserve to rant about how "underwhelming" the new iPhone is.

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
London
I rarely post here, but I can't stomach the countless ignorant posts that swarm this board immediately after a product launch.

Please stop whining over MMS and Video Recording and take a moment to understand that the SDK allows for these apps.

Apple did not implement either in 2.0, correct... Did you forget about the eager iPhone developer community?

Said community will launch their own 3rd party MMS and Video Recording apps within weeks of launch day, if not on launch day itself.

Wake up, people. Stocks is merely an app. Weather is merely an app. SMS is merely an app. MMS and Video are merely NEW apps. They already exist in the unlocked iPhone arena, it is literally a matter of porting code.

If you honestly believe that 2.0 will not have Video Recording and MMS you don't deserve to rant about how "underwhelming" the new iPhone is.

That all depends whether Apple allows for MMS and video recording apps on the App Store.

hobbbz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2005
And how exactly would you have the iPhone receive MMS?

Also, they may be able to force video to record, but at 10FPS or whatever the camera is capable of, you're not going to be happy with it.

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2007
I am sorry but what you are saying, is that we "MIGHT" have to pay for something that comes with other phones for free?

I think you may be misunderstanding his point. What he's saying is that the video and MMS was available through Installer.app if you had your iPhone Jailbroken.

xerostyles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
What's with all the pessimism towards Apple.

Do you honestly think Apple would disallow a video recording application? I'll concede MMS (while also somewhat irrational) simply for the sake of allowing the argument to continue.

Also, based on development thus far - and the nature of the programming community, it is rather assuming that a price would be added.

I am more than glad to bet a brand new 3G phone that both of these remain free. Any takers? ;)

slapguts

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Its the fact that Apple seems to be adopting a "Let the App Store fix it" attitude.

One of the best things about Apple is that they don't pull that crap. That's Windows type BS.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
why the heck would apple not allow this? am I missing something? Do they not want customer satisfaction?

I feel like there is something amiss. something is going on behind the scenes between apple and ATT that is keeping them from adding MMS. it's such a common feature and i'm sure so easy to add that it seems ridiculous that apple didnt add it themselves natively. I think if apple/att was going to allow this feature it would have been added a few software updates ago.

just my .02

hobbbz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2005
You're all missing the point!

The camera is a piece of hardware, with specific limitations on performance. You can push it all you want but you'll only get very crappy video.
An app cannot change this. Don't be fooled by the fact that it _looks like_ video when you're getting ready to take a pic.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Its the fact that Apple seems to be adopting a "Let the App Store fix it" attitude.

One of the best things about Apple is that they don't pull that crap. That's Windows type BS.

Yeah, having choices is really lame.

And the fact that there will probably be multiple video apps and will thus be forced to compete with each other and thus willl be constantly improving...

Well I'm sure that's no good either, huh?

xerostyles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
I feel like there is something amiss. something is going on behind the scenes between apple and ATT that is keeping them from adding MMS. it's such a common feature and i'm sure so easy to add that it seems ridiculous that apple didnt add it themselves natively. I think if apple/att was going to allow this feature it would have been added a few software updates ago.

just my .02

Then there will be some great Engadget reports when developers are denied from supplying applications that the community wants. Just wait for that backlash!

Win - Win in my eyes.

hobbbz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2005
Through the new PUSH development that Apple has implemented.

That service has to do with IP communications, not cell network communications.

The iPhone has no mechanism for receiving a 'push' through the cell network.

If someone goes to all the trouble to do what you're asking for, the best they'll come up with is a variation of email. So Why not use email?

xerostyles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
You're all missing the point!

The camera is a piece of hardware, with specific limitations on performance. You can push it all you want but you'll only get very crappy video.
An app cannot change this. Don't be fooled by the fact that it _looks like_ video when you're getting ready to take a pic.

Developers have exceeded 40FPS in previous attempts.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/13/iphone-gets-video-recording-capabilities/

It does work as a viable substitute for 95% of people who need casual video. It's not meant to replace your HD handycam...

Edit: hobbbz is correct. Receiving MMS is still the only issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.