#GateGate

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by willmtaylor, Oct 18, 2016.

1. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Almost daily, some iPhone issue arises, and immediately threads are filled with folks "cleverly" devising idiotic names for the scandal. I was just reading a front page news story and in the first page of comments alone there were half a dozen comments that were little (if nothing) more than "_______gate!"

Is this ok?

Can it not be...please?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

If in doubt report the posts and we'll determine if they're frivolous and remove them if necessary.

3. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

It's the new "Safari is snappier." I doubt this one is going to fade away though.

4. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Ok, can do. They just seem frivolous, but I didn't want to flag a lot of posts that needn't be and waste mods' time.

5. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I don't think it's wasting their time. If it's not reported, then the moderators cannot act upon it. I agree it's absolutely obnoxious the sophomoric one liner meme's that are frivolous and offer nothing to the reader
    Or article, from some forum members who usually only want to watch their 'Liked posts' increase.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If the post contains only say staingate, then yeah, its considered frivolous and can be dealt with as any reported post would be. But if a member uses bendgate in the title or his post, and then adds his thoughts, well that's not against the rules.

7. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Ok, thanks for the clarification. Appreciate it!

8. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

This irks me to no end as well. I don't care how well thought out there post is, when I see *gate, I immediately ignore them.

9. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

I made a similar comment about this months ago...I wish I could like this post 10 times.

Literally adds no value, just people saying #XYZgate. It's not clever, it's not funny. Especially when people use it to discuss issues which are not even mainstream.