Gateway FHD2400 Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cuestakid, Dec 30, 2007.

1. cuestakid macrumors 68000

So i have been reading about this monitor and several users mention the issue of backlight bleeding-has anyone else noticed this issue with this monitor-I am very close to buying it if MWSF doesn't give us reasonable prices.

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

You realize you can get a refurbished 20" Apple display online from the apple store for $499.00. Which is about the same price as that gateway. (I'm not a fan of Gateway products, they're pretty cheap in my experience.)

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Get a Dell monitor.

My Gateway 22" has some backlight bleeding but it was only $249, supports HDCP, has every input I'd ever want, and a USB hub. :rolleyes:

4. cuestakid thread starter macrumors 68000

20 in is far too small-I am looking at something in the 22 and above range.

Eidorian-I have looked at the two 24 in monitors there-the cheaper one does not have enough features for me-as for the ever popular 2407wfp-I am not totally opposed to it I am just not sure if i really want to spend that much right now-

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I would take note that 20" and 22" monitors have the same resolution.

I'd try to look for the Gateway FPD2485W. The FPDxx85W series resolved some of the backlight issues over the older FPDxx75W ones.

6. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

I have an FPD2485, and I really like it. The stand's motion is very fluid and the screen is sharp.

When I purchased it, I was accidentally shipped the FHD2400 and I liked the enclosure far more... but I sent it back because I had a rebate that required the FPD2485's UPC code.

Edit: I also got it when it was on sale for $399 w/ free shipping. :)

7. cuestakid thread starter macrumors 68000

I guess I should clarify what I meant-I meant to say that I want something that has a resolution of 1920x1200 -which if I am correct is 24-28 in. I also would prefer to have HDMI but its not necessary-USB ports is a must-I would also like it to be HDCP compliant as well

8. timestamp macrumors 6502

The LG L246WP is a nice piece of kit. I had two of them (going to 30" soon) and they were by far the best 23/24" I have had in that price range.

The backlight was even, no dead or stuck pixels and LG has a 3yr standard warranty. And in most cases they send you a new LCD (not a refurb).

It has HDMI, VGA, and Component. It also has USB ports. It pivots, tilts and has height adjustment. I also comes with a HDMI to DVI cable.

The LG also beats the Gateway in terms of color reproduction and viewing angles since it is an MVA panel as opposed to a TN panel. Noticeable bleeding is also a common trait of TN panel displays.

It really depends on what you plan on doing. If you are to be using fast moving video or games on it, the Gateway has an edge with the faster TN panel. If you are looking for a more general use all around good LCD, I think the LG wins.

To close, I would suggest you read here: http://hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78, this is one of the most active display forums on the net. Lots of good information.

The LG was on sale last week at Best Buy for $450. Keep an eye out for the deals.

9. cuestakid thread starter macrumors 68000

I will be using my monitor for gaming, video/movie watching and all other general usages-I read through some of hardforum's postings about the gateway-albiet not all 30 plus pages about it

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I had the change to try out a Gateway FHD2400 and there is backlight bleeding on the bottom of the LCD.

12. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I have a FHD2400. For about the first week or two it was completely flawless. However, now I can notice some backlight bleed.

13. cuestakid thread starter macrumors 68000

well now I have a delima-no new cinemas. Has anyone heard anything at all about the new 2408WFP-HC from dell? I really do not know if I can wait another 3+ months-i am starting to take another serious look at the gateway even though i have read about the issues

14. mrfaize macrumors member

Must be coming Dell 2408WFP

Dell US

15. cuestakid thread starter macrumors 68000

thank you very much for that-I think i may wait-now that it appears that it is at least in the wild for the moment

16. cuestakid thread starter macrumors 68000

well i did a price test and with a 5 year warranty, shipping to San Luis Obispo,CA the monitor comes to 813.98-for those of you who are waiting for this monitor, or are who would like a comparasion based upon ports and features, go here

17. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Might want to check eBay as well. I have a few friends that check there for the Dell HC monitors.

18. cuestakid thread starter macrumors 68000

i have found one "relatively" significant difference-the new dell has TWO DVI ports while the Gateway has one-but unless you have two computers that have DVI connectors, Am i safe to assume that this won't matter unless i have two computers that have DVI ports-which I do not?

19. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Larger and more professional oriented monitors tend to have more then one DVI port so you don't have to purchase a DVI switch to handle multiple computers. It doesn't matter which one you use except having the monitor set to the proper input.

20. cuestakid thread starter macrumors 68000

if thats the case then i have another question-I currently have a mac pro with a 19 in display via DVI-if i get the gateway with one dvi connector, could i hook-up the 19 in to the other dvi port on the Mac Pro and have a dual display? Or If i want to use both do I have to get the dell-I don't need two monitors, I am just curious

thanks

21. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yes, you'd have dual displays if you connect a DVI cable from your Mac Pros video to the 19" display on one port and another DVI cable from the other port to the new monitor.