Gateway on a mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stuuke, Jun 11, 2008.

1. stuuke macrumors regular

I'm setting up a home network and need some help. I have a Comcast cable modem connected to a 5 port router in my basement. In my home office I have my mac pro connected to a wall port through my time capsule. I have two other Cat5e outlets in the house. The problem I am running into is in my living room where I tried to plug my tv into the network. The auto setup will not work and I have tried manual but can't find a gateway address to plug in and have tried several that don't work. I have tried the usual resetting the modem and the router but that hasn't helped. The tv asks for ip address, subnet mask, dns server and gateway. How do I find the gateway on my network with a mac and what settings should I use? Thanks

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Gateway address is your router address. This can be found in System Preferences, under Network, on your Mac.

3. stuuke thread starter macrumors regular

I tried plugging my laptop into the outlet and I don't get a router address? I tried resetting the modem and router after plugging it in with the same result. How can I get the internet to work?

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

This is a "Read the Manual" moment here. Your router manual has the information.

5. stuuke thread starter macrumors regular

I've tried two different routers and read both manuals. Neither says anything other than the actual hardware setup. Thanks for your overly helpful suggestion though.

6. stuuke thread starter macrumors regular

Could the problem be that I am using a switch 5 port router instead of just a plain router?

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Not possible.

Every router has its own default IP address. Each brand uses a different IP address as default, which is why WE can't give you chapter and verse here on MR. The IP address of the router will look something like 192.168.0.1 (some brands use 172.x.x.x some use 10.x.x.x) You have to look that up for yourself in the router manual. That IP address is your gateway address. IF you have a computer which is using DHCP, and successfully connecting then you can look in its TCP/IP settings and possibly get the Gateway number off that, for use in the TV.

It doesn't matter if the router also is a switch. But your descriptions of your setup are too vague, so there's a limited amount of specific advice we can do for you.

Of course, this assumes that the cable to the TV is functional. If the laptop works on one cable, and doesn't work on the TV's cable, then you have to check that assumption.

If you are daisy chaining two routers in a row, you have more complex problems as they will interfere with each other.

Actually, ^^^^ that noise. I can't be bothered to help someone with attitude like that.

8. stuuke thread starter macrumors regular

9. stuuke thread starter macrumors regular

Port 1 Connected to Time Capsule which is plugged into Mac Pro. Connection is working and all fields show up in network settings.

Port 2 Connected to Tv. Fails on gateway address. I have tried plugging my laptop in as well and no router shows up.

Port 3 Empty

Basement Comcast Cable modem connected to 5 port linksys switch. Ports 1-3 plugged into the back.

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If you cannot figure it out, hire someone such as geeksquad

11. stuuke thread starter macrumors regular

According to the Dynex website a switch requires software that allows one computer to assign addresses to the other machines and acts as a server. The Dynex manual does not mention any of this or settings for gateways/ip addresses.

From their website for anyone that has this issue in the future:

Q I bought this switch because I wanted to share my internet connection however it is not working. What should I do?

A Switches don’t work like routers, switches require a specialized software that will allow one of the computers to act like a server and hand out ip addresses to the other computers. Therefore what you would need to do if you wish to share the internet connection using a switch is get in touch with the Geek Squad Service and Support team, which will help you on a for fee basis to install this software and configure it so that you may achieve your goal.

12. stuuke thread starter macrumors regular

I purchased a dedicated router tonight and although the install program kept crashing it seems to have fixed my problem. I get a router address when I plug my laptop into each outlet and the tv connected fine. I don't have to reboot the cable modem or anything for each connection. Thanks to those that gave input.