Gave my 2012 Air a new life

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by OrangeSVTguy, Dec 3, 2016.

1. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Well after 2 years of "Service Battery" lol I finally installed a new one along with 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD(with adapter). Everything was a smooth install and the clone took less than 30 minutes to transfer from the OWC 240GB SSD to the Samsung EVO via the USB3.0 enclosure. 15 minutes to install the new SSD and battery and back in business for at least another few years.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 3, 2016 ---
    :)

Attached Files:

2. gertruded macrumors 6502

My 2012 air is still my most used computer. Replaced the battery and am using a 2 TB hard drive for file storage. Not much new from Apple to entice me to "upgrade". Seems that there will not be any further upgrades to either the mini, the air, or the iMac line. Was looking at the new 2016 MBP, but the price is just ridiculously high. I would feel like a chump paying so much for so little.

After many years with Apple, my next machine will probably be a much cheaper Windows one. Apple is pricing me out of their market. It seems silly to purchase such old tech with their other models that have not been upgraded in years.

3. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Yeah the only real limitation to it now is the 4gb of non-upgradable memory. Total cost for all of the upgrades is under $320 and under 1 hour for installation and file transfer.

4. Aireolic macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm interested in doing the same upgrade to my machine. Where did you source the parts so cheaply if you don't mind sharing?

Thanks.

5. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

The battery was a new OEM and was about $40. The SSD was $265 and the adapter was $10.

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

Where'd you get the parts from?

7. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Oops eBay. sorry