This is what happens when a chemist has too little to do and a lot of tools at their disposal. Plus, I spent the morning writing a rec letter, and the keyboard really bugged me the whole time. The keyboard that I was using with my work G5 was getting grungy looking. I popped all the keycaps off, and sonicated them for about 5 minutes in a beaker in deionized water with a pinch of alconox(lab soap). I actually did it in two phases-first the letter keys and then everything else. Unfortunately, I didn't take a before photo. After sonicating, I rinsed the caps several times in DI water and dried each one individually with compressed air(I'm really glad that I argued for having house compressed air plumbed in when we planning lab renovations ). The keyboard itself was blown off with compressed air, and then I wiped it down with a Kimwipe. If it had been too bad I would have disassembled the base and hosed the hole thing down in DI water. That would have then been dried with compressed air, and probably left out overnight to make sure it was completely dry. In any case, here's the after, as well as a couple of "in progress" shots showing the letter keycaps next to the uncleaned other keys. The whole thing is now bright, sparkly white. I also should add that the keyboard was not "sticky" nor did it have any other serious problems before I started. Sticky keys would call for a more thorough rinse both on the board.