Gave up Christmas

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by hexonxonx, Dec 25, 2008.

1. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Ever since my mom passed away almost three years ago, I had been wanting to give up Thanksgiving and especially Christmas. I just never saw the point in them other than them being moneymakers for retailers. Even when my parents were alive, I started dreading these holidays for probably the past 10 years or more. Christmas no longer made me feel excited during at least these past 10 years and I would always be so relieved the day after.

For thanksgiving this year, I made up the excuse that I was sick. For Christmas, I just stayed up for awhile after work this morning and then went to sleep at about 8.30 am. Woke up at 6pm to texts from my brother. I ignored them and now when I do talk to him on the phone, I'm telling him that I'm giving up Thanksgiving and Christmas.

The other few Holidays have really been nothing since my parents have been gone. None of us really do anything for Easter.

Anyone else do this for various reasons, give up these Holidays

2. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

The only reason i had to give up christmas was because i had a anxiety problem. Now i am on the mend and really enjoyed christmas this year!

3. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

I can see where you're coming from. The holiday is so commercialized that it loses it's meaning. I am in no way religious, others in my family are, and I'll do secret santa with them. Aside from that, I believe in myself and science.

Are you at all religious? Do you believe in a Heaven or after life? Or, all those years, did you just "do" christmas because it was what the rest of your family was doing?

I think it's important to be thankful everyday for everything you are afforded. A lot of times I see people losing sight of that, only so that they can go all out for the holidays, spend thousands of dollars, stuff their faces full of food, just so they can "reflect" on how fortunate they are. It makes no sense to me.

Anyways, this sounds like an interesting conversation, hope my opinion helps,
    -Steve

4. hexonxonx thread starter macrumors 601

Hi SteveMobs

Yes, I have always been religious. Back when I was a kid I would read the bible almost every waking minute. I would even bring a tiny bible with me to read in free time in class.

So you see, it's not that I don't believe in the meaning behind Christmas, it's just lost everything that it once meant to me. And going by what we see on TV starting the day after Thanksgiving, the rest of the U.S. has as well.

Over the last ten years and yes my parents were still alive for half of those, I did only celebrate it because of them. There was no way I could not tell my mom that I didn't want to come over for Christmas. She would have been very upset and sad. My Dad probably wouldn't have cared all that much and he wasn't a very religious guy. The last time I had ever even been in a church for a holiday to attend a service with my family was probably 20 years ago not including funerals.

I hope I kind of made it clear here.

5. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Geez, you think? ;)

I really dread the holiday season like the plague, and I am religious. It's the season of God of Money or something and only gets worse each year. People run over each other, assault each other, and worse, at crowded, frantic shopping malls. I didn't believe it until I saw it recently a couple of times.

Not that I have issues with malls or anything, but the holidays bring out the gangs to the malls and what tension is there only escalates this time of the year as the mall is the "under the bridge" place to settle gang conflicts/issues like in the movie, "West Side Story". This season is really sad and Jesus was probably born mid-Spring anyway if we are to believe the words of the Old and New Testament. :)

6. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

You have made it clear. You're in a very emotionally tough situation. I'm sorry to hear these things.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't get the complaining. If you don't like the commercial side of things, just don't participate. I don't. My parents don't. We all understand that we have enough stuff as it is.

That doesn't mean you can't go over to your brother's place for Christmas dinner. If your parents are gone, he's the only family you've got, and whether you buy gifts is not the point. You know that. I know that. The world knows that. Doesn't mean you need to be a scrooge about it just because you don't like the gift-giving. Take it for what it is: a day off and a perfect time to spend time with family. Just do it for the quality family time, if that's what you want it to mean for you.

Of course, if you don't like your family, do exactly what you're doing now, I guess.

8. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Wow, that is really understanding and sympathetic...great advice.

To OP, I gave up on holidays a few years ago for similar reasons. Do what makes you feel better.

9. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

I was never into christmas. I give gifts all year around. Nothing beats giving your friends and family a random gift.

10. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Good point. I have tried over the years to get over the Scrooge thing myself. I don't have the selfish thing or greed thing, but I certainly don't have the holiday spirit. When I watch TV, the commercialized cheer is thrust upon me, in mid-October. It's just a bit much, that's all.

Family get togethers are tense as there is not the idea of getting together, but some feeling of obligation because it's what a lot of other people are doing. The tense feelings start with me, extend to family, and then to the public and this awful scenario breeds itself everywhere I go.

I have tried to be happy in this time of year, but I just can't stomach it, it's in my face. If I could go to a country that didn't have this end of year hype for vacation from late December to first week in January, I would. I wish the world would realize that it's just another day, just another month. Anyway my favorite day of the year, every year, is January 2nd. :)

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I feel sorry for you. I love the holiday's because I enjoy spending time with my family.

This year I was excited by the gifts I gave. But aside from the gifts something I always have enjoyed is Christmas eve meal with my family which is traditional crab legs, random Christmas dinner but it is our tradition and one I intend to continue when I start my own family.

If you do not care for the commercialization christmas do not take part in it but the family and friend part is something I feel sorry that you are missing out on.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I am not religious at all and love christmas. Why?

The genuine feeling of goodwill in the air, it seems everyone jsut wants everyone else to be happy.

13. hexonxonx thread starter macrumors 601

You said everything that I am feeling. Thanks for saying it. Only I love December 26 through October 31.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That's it for me too. When me and the girlfriend get our own place I'll likely take part in the more religious side to it but for now - the feeling in the air is the best thing about Christmas. For the past week everyone in our house has been genuinely happy. No work, no arguments.

15. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

Exactly. Do the media over commercialize the holidays? Of course they do, but that doesn't mean that you or your family has to. Don't do anything for Christmas? Spend the day at home not having to work or shop. That's a pretty good present right there.

I also have a problem with "holiday cheer" and "good will towards others." Not that it's forced around that holidays, but that it isn't practiced any time else. It's the same attitude I have about mothers day, valentines day, veterans day, etc. Shouldn't you show respect for the things you love all the time?

16. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Exactly. It's the only day of the year that as a Brit you are allowed to be happy, without being looked on suspciously by those around. :)

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm the same. It's not my thing. I am in no way religious, so it means even less. I do get presents for my family though. But it's just the parents, my brother, sister in law and the nieces and nephews.

18. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

We should start a Scrooge club. ;)

The crazy thing is that I am middle aged and sensitive about each coming birthday and hearing about untimely deaths of 40 and 50 something high school mates from my wife or me (she is slightly older), so birthdays don't come as a happy thing being smack in the middle of that Nov1-Dec 25 rush.

I saw the movie "Wild Hogs" or something to that effect with Tim Allen and John Travolta and part of what made those guys go out on a bike trip is that one of their buddies just dropped dead. These holiday seasons make me feel like I can drop dead, too from a heart attack. I do take Zocor.