Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MorganB

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
i like the fitbit for its simplicity and the fact if i lose it or it breaks im only out 150 bucks not 600 for an apple watch. it also to me feels better on my wrist and the fact i can keep it on several days without having to charge it.

I think based on what you want out of a smartwatch the Fitbit is clearly better for you. It does a few things well and its not so expensive or bulky. They are really two different products, one being fitness tracker focused and the other more a universal smart watch.

I have a polar fitness watch and TBH I prefer it to the Apple Watch for workout tracking. Why? Because the polar screen remains on and prominently displays my heart rate. I like having quick visible access to my heart rate without needing to move my wrist about. Also my trainer can see my heart rate on the polar but has to ask me what it is when I wear the Apple Watch as the screen is usually dark. I also don't like the heart rate monitor on the watch. It is simply to slow to read and tens of seconds waiting allows for a significant change in my heart rate. Right now I am using the Apple Watch to track my workouts but have paired it with a polar heart rate chest strap for instant reading.

Last edited:

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
has anyone else just given up on it? i have worn a series 2 ss apple watch for a year now and yesterday i went out and purchased a fitbit charge 3 and its just more comfortable to wear and the software is much better. it gives me the info i need and it tracks my sleep. i am enjoying it so much more and it was a third of the cost of the apple watch. i own 2 iphones including the xs max that i just got, an ipp 10.5 and a mbp 15 and the airpods. i enjoy my apple gear but for me it just seems the watch isnt apple's best showing.
I am thinking about giving up all together. I also have SS S2 AW and have been thinking about S4, but I get very little benefit out of my current S2, than upgrading to S4 would not make a difference for me; hence, I might go back to be watchless (like I have been for the past 30+ years) before my S2.

iFan83

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2017
yikes... Fitbit software is better? not for me!! I thought Fitbit software was a bit buggy and the found the straps nowhere as comfortable, seemed to really trap heat and make my wrist sweat, also it felt too tight or too loose for me. Found it really lacking on the software or app side of things, with the AW S3 I can unlock or lock my front door, turn my lights on or off, use a Bluetooth HR monitor, better workout apps, much better notifications, better health tracking... the one thing I miss about Fitbit is they may have the best sleep tracking software but that's it.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I had a fit bit...before my apple watches...and it wasn’t for me. I love that the Apple Watch does more but I am glad that there are different options for everyone. I am thoroughly enjoying my series 4.

Adam Henry

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
I went through three Versa units, what a joke. If you buy one buy it locally so you. An return or exchange quickly. FitBit’s customer service is understandably overloaded. Even BestBuy said they have had a tremendous number of returned units.

yeah i saw the versa at costco it looked like an apple watch knockoff. i purchased the charge 3 which is much less bulky and so far its been good but its only been a week. after charging for about an hour its been on my wrist since and still looks to have 50% battery remaining.
the software has come a long way. i have no issues syncing and it is laid out well and easy to see the data i want. again im not saying the apple watch is bad its just not for me. also i think apple would have sold more watches if they had come out with a true fitness device and not a mini iphone you wear on your wrist. jmo.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
yeah i saw the versa at costco it looked like an apple watch knockoff. i purchased the charge 3 which is much less bulky and so far its been good but its only been a week. after charging for about an hour its been on my wrist since and still looks to have 50% battery remaining.
the software has come a long way. i have no issues syncing and it is laid out well and easy to see the data i want. again im not saying the apple watch is bad its just not for me. also i think apple would have sold more watches if they had come out with a true fitness device and not a mini iphone you wear on your wrist. jmo.

The FitBit Charge series was bullet proof for me.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
i wasnt trying to bash the watch i think apple over thought it and just went too far with it. had they taken the fitbit idea and made a thin band type of device that had a few health functions plus a clock instead of cramming so many features and apps on a shrunken down iphone it would have been better and far more popular product. i like the fitbit for its simplicity and the fact if i lose it or it breaks im only out 150 bucks not 600 for an apple watch. it also to me feels better on my wrist and the fact i can keep it on several days without having to charge it. there are some on here that take any sort of apple criticism as a personal attack. i never got that. apple is a corporation not your sister. i enjoy my windows and i enjoy my apple stuff but will criticize both if warranted.
Not sure if you've heard but the Apple Watch is the best selling watch in the world. How is it supposed to be more popular?

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
The FitBit Charge series was bullet proof for me.

I had 3 Charge HR's, all of which went "tits-up" after a month or so.. Went to Garmin, and Suunto, both which had their ills, quirks, and weirdness, and finally settled on the AW, and it "just suits me". Of course, I have very specific wants, as do most, so what works for me, probably won't work for you for the same reasons. (Unless, of course, you're my twin brother, in that case, all bets are off) :)

Reactions: Newtons Apple
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.