Gawker = BS

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tpavur, Oct 8, 2011.

1. tpavur macrumors regular

http://gawker.com/5847344/

This has got to be the most disrespectful, gutless, emotionless and illogical tribute to Steve Jobs that I have ever seen. I do not visit the site that I linked however last night I was speaking to my father over the phone about how bad I feel for Steve Jobs and letting him know that watching Steve Jobs speach at Stanford gets to me and I can't even talk about my favorite part of his speach without my voice starting to tremble (everything you thought you had 10 years to say to your kids you had to say within a few months).

My father is a PC guy like I was however I almost have him completely converted, he now owns an iPhone, iPad and he will be buying his second Mac when I come to visit in about a month. His first Mac was back in 1994 so he has some bad memories. So hapily he has joined the good fight.

I just want to share this article so that you can make your own judgement about supporting Gawker. For anyone that is unsure what speech I was referencing please see the link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1R-jKKp3NA&feature=player_embedded

2. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I saw that article yesterday- I have to say, a pretty ******* move by Gawker. Seems fitting following their iPhone 4 fallout. I read somewhere that the article was partially spurred by Brian Lam's apology letter to Steve regarding the iPhone 4 incident.

3. tpavur thread starter macrumors regular

It really erks me, if you are above the age of say 25 and have the knowledge to know what it takes to run a successful company, there really is not anything wrong with the way he operated. However it is completely BS that he made him out to be such a bad guy. Obviously the guy has no idea what he is talking about though, let's compare the success of the author of that article to Steve Jobs.

4. melva macrumors member

What an Incredibly Cowardly Attack

While I would still not agree with the deluge of misstatements I would at least not think Gawker completely gutless for saving their acusations until after the man they accuse was dead. Gawker reflects far more poorly on their jorunalistic integrity then on the reputation of Steve Jobs. Gawker has at established thier own low water mark. Just disgusting.

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Certainly the timing of the article is, to say the least, in poor taste. The reactions above are certainly understandable.

I have a question, though.

Is what is written, offensively insensitive or not, true?

This is not, in any way, intended to offend anybody. Since I cannot claim in depth knowledge of Jobs actions, I am asking the question sincerely - with no irony or sarcasm.

6. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Nice or not the man got results.
    The article pointed out MobileMe. To me he asked a fair question. How many threads on here talked about MobileMe and it's downfalls.

I disagree with perhaps condoning the sweatshops and child labor. He surely must of had some the influence to prevent this.

There have been time where I called out in group meetings for the lack of performance. I expect to be if my performance is dragging down the team. Sure it sucked and made me feel crappy, however, I wasn't meeting expectations.

You can change the name of the company and CEO's name and the article will flow the same way. Does anyone think board meetings are all rosy?

The article is tasteless.
    He must of done something's right, apple stock is doing ok and they seem to have a few penniesnin the bank

7. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

What a crap article. I'm all for people being honest about his flaws and acknowledging that he was a great man while not making him out to be Jesus, but his article is grasping at straws. They act like jobs is the only one to ever do any of this, but he is not. It's shock and sensationalism for the sake of getting hits, and it's a pathetic.

8. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I just realized that the article in the OP is not the one I was referring to- but my comment still stands, for both articles. Here is the Gawker article I was referring to:

Steve Jobs was not God.

9. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Oddly enough, I actually agree with many points in this article.

This bit is exactly how I feel. He was a great business man. He was a visionary and was able to achieve and then sell his vision, something almost no else on earth will achieve so well, but he wasn't a saint.

I do however agree that this article came too soon. It's a bit tasteless to tell people who miss him greatly that he isn't as good a person as they think. Just another reason I avoid Gizmodo whenever I can, it's a tacky website.

10. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I just don't understand why Gawker is so concerned with how other people are feeling, when it doesn't effect them at all.

11. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Because no matter who they're offending, it's getting them some hits on their site. Trashy tactic...

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

No matter how many times you say it, nothing ever changes, does it?

Same with Westboro, and countless others.

Just don't go there, and vilify those that create these posts.

OK, a tad strong, perhaps. Maybe just lit bamboo under their finger-nails.

13. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

It does actually. I now avoid the site unless I'm directly handed a link.