Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

awipsuser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
Has anyone every used Gazelle and have them report the phone they received can not make a call? I have used them a few times in the past and never an issue. The iPhone 5 was working up to the point I put it into their shipping box. I have asked them to test again and if it fails to return it to me.
What are the chances I get my exact phone back? Luckily I have the serial number of the device I sent them.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've read some reports where they're overly picky but not to the point where they state the phone is not functioning.

I used them for 2 phones and the transaction was very smooth.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
i have used them for three iPhones, iPads, and MacBooks never had an issue or had them try to scam me in any way.

I know since iOS 7 there can be activation lock issues if you don't disable things correctly on the phone before you send it off. Could that be what is going on maybe?

awipsuser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
i have used them for three iPhones, iPads, and MacBooks never had an issue or had them try to scam me in any way.

I know since iOS 7 there can be activation lock issues if you don't disable things correctly on the phone before you send it off. Could that be what is going on maybe?

I did a restore to iOS8 on two phones. Both phones said iPhone was unlocked. Also Gazelle stated that if the iPhone comes locked, that will decrease the price something like $15. In my case they went from $190 to $70. So I don't think it is the activation lock. I asked them to re-try their test. and to send it back if it fails.:mad:

GalaDaliGirl

Suspended
Sep 19, 2014
Stupid question but when they say to deactivate find my iPhone isn't already deactivated when I wipe my 5S and using my 6?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Stupid question but when they say to deactivate find my iPhone isn't already deactivated when I wipe my 5S and using my 6?

Gazelle has very specific instructions about turning FMP off before you wipe to avoid any activation lock issues. But I have read on Apple's support docs this happens automatically when you wipe starting with iOS7, so who knows. I always turn off FMP and Messages manually before I wipe because I have read about all sorts of problems later if you don't.

jbromer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MD, USA
I had a quote for a laptop once that I was supposed to get $105 and they downgraded it to $2, not 20 but 2! Frankly at that point, I just laughed.

Anyway, the disabling Find My iPhone is really important on iOS 7 or later. You essentially brick the phone from a usability standpoint if you don't. It is a theft deterrent feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.