Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimmy Guphanti

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Should I sell my iPhone 5S to Gazelle or eBay? The difference in price is a little over $200 more if I sell on eBay. I have sold things on eBay before, but never a phone. People like to cause problems on eBay after the sale and ask for partial refunds and file complaints, whereas on Gazelle, it is entirely straightforward. Is another $200 worth the risk and delay?

uchosen

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Should I sell my iPhone 5S to Gazelle or eBay? The difference in price is a little over $200 more if I sell on eBay. I have sold things on eBay before, but never a phone. People like to cause problems on eBay after the sale and ask for partial refunds and file complaints, whereas on Gazelle, it is entirely straightforward. Is another $200 worth the risk and delay?

Don't forget the eBay/PayPal fees when calculating. The added hassle with eBay would still be worth it to me.
Also, don't forget about Amazon for trade-ins if you need Amazon gift credit.

bassett700

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2009
Dingus, VA
I know Craigslist is taboo for some people but I've sold over 5 phones on CL with no problems. Just sold my Iphone 5 for $325 (yes, a 5 not a 5S). Condition was 8/10 with no cracks, dents, water exposure, etc. Still had some Applecare+ remaining. Buyer was sending it overseas. Selling price exceeded Gazelle's offer and average Ebay selling price for similar units.

TahoeDust

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2010
I hate selling stuff on ebay. It just is not worth the little extra I would get. In the past I have used Gazelle, but this time I am trying buybackworld.com. I locked in my price about a week ago. $205 for my iPhone 5.

JoshGlzBrk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2009
Use eBay at your own risk. The seller 99% of the time gets screwed out of their money if the buyer opens a claim for any reason. Even if it's a lie.

BeeJee

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2011
Long Island/North Jersey
I have sold about 45 phones on eBay, give or take 5. Only one problem ever, the buyer said the power button wasn't working properly on the iPhone 5 I sold him. I told him it said it in the description, and Apple will fix it for free under recall (I checked the serial number.) Never heard back from him again. For the most part, people are honest on eBay. Just take VERY clear pictures and describe EVERYTHING no matter how small you think it may be. I have actually purchased two phones from Gazelle on their eBay store, as a paying customer I would never recommend them. Bought a black 5 from them with a screen that was delaminating, and bought an HTC One from them, bought a 64GB they sent a 32GB...

EDIT: You could always list it in the MacRumors classifieds.

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL

Ebay is Fraud city for me.....

I am a BIG spender on Amazon and they have a generous buy back program BUT they pay you in Amazon credit!

:cool:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
eBay for the best price
Craiglist for the lack of fees.
Swappa, if you want to avoid most of the scammers on eBay
Gazelle if you want some money quickly, i.e., convenience over a larger payout.

psymac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
I use Amazon, little less expensive than eBay, and it just seems to be a better experience for both buyer and seller.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC

That's a massive price difference. I'd sell it on eBay or even sell it on Craigslist for $100 less than the average eBay prices over the Gazelle ripoff. It's worth using any alternative but Gazelle in this case.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I have mine on Ebay right now. (5s) And in all the years that i have sold stuff on Ebay. Never had one problem. The most important thing is to be as descriptive as possible when listing your item. I never use international shipping. And i always wait till Ebay tells me it is ok to ship before i do. And as an added precaution, i wait a few days for the money to transfer from my paypal to my checking. Just in case. But never had a problem with them.

inboxer

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2013
eBay is a pain. I've used buybackworld.com as well and already locked in my quote to sell my iPhone 5s when I receive my ip6. Buybackworlds prices always seem higher than gazelles.

Olivia23

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2008
around
I've sold plenty of my phones on eBay and the only time I had a problem was when the winning bidder jacked the price up then didn't pay. After that I always choose on eBay Buy it Now and click on instant payment required. I take lots of pics and even take pics of the packaging then I always insure it.

HoosBruce

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
great responses thank you for some of these!

only problem with a few of these is that idk when I will be getting my new phone...hoping to get the 6+ before next week, but who knows if I will be able to find any....

hopefully some of these prices will remain the same for the next few weeks and not drop too much

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Just got $420 for my 5s on eBay after Gazelle only offered me $305. I will ship it insured with signature required and take a video of me shipping it. The more proof you provide, the better protected you are.

joeyoey

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
Charlottesville, VA
For any type of gadget like phones, cameras, etc., I always use Craigs List. Yes, you often get the "can you ship to Nigeria" emails, but as long as you agree to only sell in person & accept cash, it's always worked best for me. I've had almost every model of the iPhone & each time I've gotten my new phone early in the day, listed the old one on CL & had cash in my hand (usually) at the end of the day.

brun019822

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2006
ebay is a great place, if you price it right you can sell it less then an hour, I dont mind paying the fees its the price you pay for usually a haggle free transaction, now always be prepared to lose your item or money, if you end up selling to a scammer or something goes wrong, ebay will side with the buyer 90% of time. I have sold many things on ebay my worst experience was when I sold a ps3 and the buyer claimed that it arrived broken, I told him to ship it back that I would refund him the money, when it arrived I realized that he shipped back another ps3 and kept the good one I sold it to him. ebay sided with the buyer and I lost my money. so just becareful when using ebay, your first choice should always be to sell it to friends, family or craigslist first.

steph280

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Orange County, CA
I've sold a lot of phones on ebay in the past 10 years. While most of the transaction went smoothly, there were 1 or 2 incidences where buyer would play certain tricks to get out of paying the full amount. One guy actually filed a charge back on credit card 2 months later which Paypal immediately froze my account. This was after receiving positive ebay feedback from the person and way past the ebay dispute period. Back then there was no seller protection so basically Paypal sided with the credit card company even though I provided tracking number and mentioned the positive feedback.

There are some shady characters on ebay. Whether the risk is worth the gain will be up to you.

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
I've sold a lot of phones on ebay in the past 10 years. While most of the transaction went smoothly, there were 1 or 2 incidences where buyer would play certain tricks to get out of paying the full amount. One guy actually filed a charge back on credit card 2 months later which Paypal immediately froze my account. This was after receiving positive ebay feedback from the person and way past the ebay dispute period. Back then there was no seller protection so basically Paypal sided with the credit card company even though I provided tracking number and mentioned the positive feedback.

There are some shady characters on ebay. Whether the risk is worth the gain will be up to you.

I SO understand your pain. This is why I no longer use EBAY!

I was a victim of a phone insurance scam. 12 years ago I was trying to buy the newest phones and I purchased one (I Thought) it was a scammed out insurance replacement that I received in the mail as I was the winning bidder.

I did not know it was a insurance replacement till the company contacted me.

NO MORE!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.