Gboard for iOS Introduces Google Maps, YouTube, and Doodling 'Ink' Tabs Into Keyboard App

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 31, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Gboard is Google's own keyboard app for iOS devices, and today the company announced that it's integrating Google Maps and YouTube directly within the keyboard. The two new features will be housed behind the "G" button on Gboard, now sitting alongside Google Search.

With Google Maps in Gboard, users can share their location, or another location that they wish to serve as a rendezvous point, and send the address to a contact in Messages. YouTube lets users search and send any YouTube video to friends and family directly from Gboard. There's also a new "Ink" tab that lets users draw pieces of art to share with their contacts.

[​IMG]

Outside of the Gboard app, Google also has a Google Maps app for Apple's Messages App Store, which lets users send their location to a friend as an iMessage.

Gboard originally launched in May of 2016, with built-in Google search as its flagship feature, and was later updated with 3D Touch cursor tracking and voice support.

Gboard is one of the main iOS keyboard apps that users can install as an additional keyboard to text with on their iPhone or iPad. Microsoft's SwiftKey is another well-known keyboard app for iOS, which the company has now decided to focus on after recently removing Word Flow from the iOS App Store.

Gboard is available on the iOS App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Gboard for iOS Introduces Google Maps, YouTube, and Doodling 'Ink' Tabs Into Keyboard App

2. JGraz19 macrumors newbie

How is this keyboard different than the one built into the Google app?

3. Xgm541 macrumors 65816

You use this keyboard system wide.

4. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

They will haven't fixed it where you click on a YouTube link and it opens in safari rather than app...

5. entropi macrumors 6502

6. Avieshek Suspended

Avieshek

7. ceomfgstfu macrumors newbie

ceomfgstfu

Gboard is a game changer and superior to native iOS keyb in almost every way (other than no siri). Swype, once learned is a game changer. Searchable GIfs and emoji rock. Now with maps and YouTube and doodle it just got that much better.

8. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

I use this all the time, just wish Apple would adopt swipe then I'd ditch this.

9. smf72 macrumors regular

I can seem to access any of the new features. I have reinstalled the app. Can anyone confirm it actually works?

10. benroberts3 macrumors member

Currently not working for me either. Google is slow to roll out updates to their apps on the sever side. Happens all the time with Google maps.

Hopefully these features will work soon.

11. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

They seem to be working for me...

Attached Files:

12. JGIGS, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2017

JGIGS macrumors 65816

JGIGS

Ya I like it as well but find swype a little trickier to be accurate on the smaller handsets (using a 5S at the moment) Plus my 5S has a little lag with it but it also lags with the standard ios keyboard at times so that's mostly just Phone getting to old/outdated syndrome.

13. ceomfgstfu macrumors newbie

ceomfgstfu

Same issue here. Sounds like article prefaced full app store geo propagation which is often staggered by area.