GBs of updates, Really!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by RightMACatU, Oct 4, 2012.

1. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

I've been pushing back on the latest updates of iMovie and iPhoto each standing at a whopping GB+ each.

With the full ML install standing at about 4GB, is there any sane reason why what looks like fairly minor iMovie/iPhoto updates would require 2GB?

For years people have been laughing at Windows' bloatware and its 25GB+ OS. Looks like Apple got jealous and decided to swamped their users too. Good thing I went with a 512GB SSD :p

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Maybe it's replacing the entire applications with new ones?

3. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

I think the updates are replacing the entire application like iOS updates. I'm not sure if Apple has implemented delta updates on OSX applications.

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Is there a way to pick and choose what u wanto update?

5. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

This...

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yes - You can leave some updates if you'd prefer not to download them for whatever reason :)

7. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

I believe that if the update comes from the App Store, it will download incremental updates. If you had iPhoto or iMovie from before the App Store, it goes through a different mechanism and downloads the full app.

On my 2012 Air, the last iPhoto update was only 40MB, or so. I haven't tried one of my older machines yet, but I'm betting it was much bigger.

8. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Huh. The last time there was an update (10.8.2), I didn't even have to do anything, looks like it downloaded whatever by itself and it just keep asking me if I want to install it now?

Don't like this much automation, like manual control, is there a place in OSX to configure this setting?

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

That's weird - It's always asked me before downloading updates...

10. dyn macrumors 68030

You can set this in System Preferences > Software Updates. I've set it differently on my Mac Pro and MBA.

The MAS does delta updates but I'm not sure if it does that with all the apps or just the ones from Apple. It could be that it depends on the application as well. I recall Xcode being one that is always quite large even if the changes are quite small.