gcc and LaTeX

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ghanwani, Oct 23, 2010.

1. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

Where can I get gcc and LaTeX for the mac?

I've seen some posts about needing to sign up as an Apple developer for gcc and the development tools, but is that really necessary?

Thanks,
    Anoop

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. gks macrumors 6502

If you're comfortable with it, I'd suggest installing LaTeX via MacPorts. Makes it super easy to update in the future. Plus it's separate from your locally installed apps. There are a lot of dependencies for LaTeX and it's nice to keep that all away from OS X's default stuff.

4. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

I second the installation from MacTeX http://www.tug.org/mactex/. It is the most painless way and provides you with other goodies such as TeXShop, LaTeXiT, BibDesk and others...

There is a new version about once a year. You can install on top of the old one and choose which one should be used. You can update packages with 'tlmgr' from terminal for the most current one.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Nonsense. Updating MacTeX could not be easier. You may use either the GUI TeX Live Utility or a single command line in the Terminal.

The command line is as follows: sudo tlmgr update --all. Unless the MacPorts installation of TeX uses telepathy, it is no better than equal to MacTeX in ease of update. And yes, both the command line TeX Live Manager and the GUI TeX Live Utility utilities handle all dependencies.

6. gks macrumors 6502

Good to know. But I never said anything about ease of updating. I said it keeps things separate from everything else. /opt/local/ ... I'm guessing MacTex tosses it all in /usr/local or /usr/ which isn't nearly as easy to clean up. I could be wrong, and correct me if I am. But at least read what I said before replying :-/

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Oh, really?
    When you say things like this, don't deny it.

There is no need to guess. All you need to do is to examine your /Library folder. Among the many things that you don't understand is that MacOS X keeps the system and user files separate. In the event that you want to remove stuff that you installed, it is very easy to do.

8. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

Please calm down people!

Yes MacTeX puts most of the files in /usr/local. The GUI files reside in your application folder.
    However, it does not throw them all over the place. All files reside in /usr/local/texlive/ and there is a subdirectory for the yearly updated distribution, which can be deleted if you have sucessfully updated. Make sure you put any permanent changes (such as personal styles) into /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local to survive between updates.
    If you feel like getting rid of LaTeX, simply delete /usr/local/texlive/.

So if this is less clean than putting it into /opt is a matter of personal taste.