GCC in Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by jojo0815, Jul 31, 2012.

1. jojo0815, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2012

jojo0815 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

did anyone a clean install of Mountain Lion and got the gcc compiler from macports up and running?

I get the following errors:

Code:
    --->  Computing dependencies for gcc47
    --->  Dependencies to be installed: cctools ld64 libunwind-headers llvm-3.1 libffi llvm_select cloog gmp isl autoconf help2man gettext expat libiconv gperf ncurses p5.12-locale-gettext perl5.12 gdbm m4 perl5 xz automake libtool gcc_select libmpc mpfr ppl glpk zlib
    --->  Building libunwind-headers
    Error: org.macports.build for port libunwind-headers returned: command execution failed
    Error: Failed to install libunwind-headers
    Please see the log file for port libunwind-headers for details:
        /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_devel_libunwind-headers/libunwind-headers/main.log
    Error: The following dependencies were not installed: cctools ld64 libunwind-headers llvm-3.1 libffi llvm_select cloog gmp isl autoconf help2man gettext expat libiconv gperf ncurses p5.12-locale-gettext perl5.12 gdbm m4 perl5 xz automake libtool gcc_select libmpc mpfr ppl glpk zlib
    To report a bug, follow the instructions in the guide:
        [url]http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets[/url]
    Error: Processing of port gcc47 failed

Does anyone know what to do?

Cheers

jojo0815

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Why not grab the one that is included with Xcode?

BL.

3. jojo0815 thread starter macrumors newbie

Because I worked all time before with the one from macports and I don't want to reset all my paths. Moreover, I don't want to give apple the right to decide which compiler I use. This should be the decision of the developer!

4. vanc macrumors 6502

You need to reinstall the command line compiler tools after upgrade. ML apparently removes GCC during upgrade.

5. Reason077 macrumors 68000

Reason077

Since macports builds things from source, you need some kind of compiler to get you started. The one that's included with XCode is a good choice.

You'll need to go into XCode's preferences and select downloads->command line tools->install

You can always then go and roll your own compiler once you have gcc installed for bootstrap purposes.

6. MacRenegade macrumors member

From 10.7 and onward the GCC that comes with Xcode (or downloaded through Xcode) is not actually the full GCC. It's the LLVM backend with the GCC frontend, as evident by running
    Code:
    gcc -v
    which gives you:
    Code:
    gcc version 4.2.1 (Based on Apple Inc. build 5658) (LLVM build 2336.11.00)
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8707367/using-gcc-not-llvm-gcc-with-mac-os-x-lion