Gear S3 issue

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Michael Goff, May 21, 2017.

1. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Does anyone else have this problem and/or have any idea on how to solve it? Apple Watch gave some small heat rash occasionally, but nothing this bad.

20170521_195447.jpg 20170521_195416.jpg

2. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Ouch. Looks like you're allergic to the materials in the watch itself. Not uncommon---my mom had to have the stainless steel Apple Watch because the aluminum version would have a similar effects on her skin. I personally can't wear the synthetic Apple Watch bands as I'll eventually break out in a rash as well.

I don't see any solution short of just not wearing the watch, unfortunately.

3. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G4

Michael Goff

The weird thing is it isn't where the watch itself touches and just where the band is. And it doesnt happen outside of summer-type weather.

4. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

The S3 causes more of a reaction but nothing like that. You may want to try a band made with different materials and see if that helps, or give your skin a break more often by taking it off and charging it overnight a few nights week.

You can also turn off automatch heart rate detection.

5. Klyster macrumors 6502a

Klyster

Might be worth applying a skin (not yours lol) to the base and see if it keeps happening?
    Try it on the other wrist mayhaps?

6. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Also loosen it a notch. Get some air between your skin and the band.

7. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

I have a s3 and my wife had a s2. She got something similar from a Barton silicon band, which are great replacement bands, but apparently she can't use it.

Neither of us have a problem with the actually watch causing a reaction. Usually it is the band, which could be solved by a third party replacement.

I would use a healing lotion/cream on the cracked and dried area. Keep the watch off, or use it on the other wrist for a few days, while the irritation heals.

I would also use some diluted rubbing alcohol, like a lense wipe, to clean the watch of any odd residue that might be affecting your skin.

Then give it another try, and be sure to not over tighten the watch band (outside of fitness tracking usage). If the reaction comes back at the watch to skin contact point, you may need to return the watch (if it is possible).

8. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

That looks bad.. I hope you find a solution.. I have no such issue ( S3 or SS AW )

9. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

I don't have anything like that with mine.

Out of interest, what band do you use? Maybe your band gets warm and freaks out...

10. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G4

Michael Goff

The default band that came with the S3 Frontier.

11. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

Strange.

Tbh I've got a few straps that I interchange every now and then.

The only real issue I've had (in general) is it has stopped counting when I climb floors properly. It used to do it perfectly but not anymore since that big software update.

12. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Well, just did the latest software update and I really hope it doesn't happen to me. :/

13. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

There is a possibility my stairs got a bad firmware update though, they certainly seem steeper with every passing year.

14. SigEp265 macrumors 6502

SigEp265

I usually paint the underside of my watches with clear nail polish. No more rash!

15. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G4

Michael Goff

I might have to do that. Seems I'm pretty bad at changing the bands, just broke one trying to put it on.

16. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

With my Gear S2, I never have had a problem. That is, until I wore it during weed wacking. Just as I was finishing the yard, I noticed the redness. I'm going to try some of the suggestions above. (yes, my arm is dirty)

Attached Files: