Gears Of War 2

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Markleshark, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

ZOMFGBBQ!!

Looks awesomeness. November this year, trailer here. NSFW I don't think.

2. pcypert macrumors 6502

Trailer didn't do much for me...mostly because it didn't show anything. If you really can gut someone with the chainsaw gun great...otherwise I'm excited but need to see/hear of more.

Paul

3. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Here you go.

4. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Why does this induce nothing more than a *yawn* from me?

If it wasn't for Nintendo I'd fear for my future participation in gaming. (And that's not an attempt to start one those 'Interwebs flame warz!11!1!!!', merely me expressing my disillusionment at the road that modern gaming is heading along.)

5. luftwaffles08 macrumors newbie

As much as the gamer in me would love to stand up and shout "WUT NINTENDOE!? TEH WII IS 4 N00BS" I basically have to agree with you. While Nintendo seems completely unable to innovate in terms of story and character (see Zero Punctuation's review of Super Mario Galaxy for a great explanation), they are really the only major company keeping innovation in gameplay going. With the Rumble Pack on the N64, the Wiimote and now the Wiifit, Nintendo seems to understand the exact same playing experience gets stale after awhile.

That said, I really enjoyed the first Gears of War. I'm looking forward to the second one, but I'm not looking for anything genre shattering.

While writing this I came up with an analogy that at least makes sense to me. When a high point in the FPS genre comes out (let's call it Bioshock), you can compare it to a Monet in Impressionism. As an artist you have two options: either you try to perfect the Impressionist design even more (Gears of War 2) or you go off and become Cubist (Super Mario Galaxy).

Sorry it's early and I'm heading off to class. This is what happens when you make a college student think.

6. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

In the words of Andrew Dice Clay:

Yayyyyyy... [imagine sarcasm]

Cool and all but really... I don't expect much more than the first one with some glitzy gfx upgrades. Christ knows we need more bald space marines fighting aliens in bland grey environments rampant with texture pop-in due to the Unreal 3 engine.

|-|uZz@H!!!1!`!131!

7. Markleshark thread starter macrumors 603

Markleshark

Awww, really, deep down... You all know it's going to be good. :p

8. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

Gonna be an awesome game. Though I know a lot of people will be complete noobs without it, I hope they take out the Longshot downing a player with 1 active shot. Made the online lame down the line.

Hoping the story line stays strong and catchy like the first one was.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Didn't like the first. I doubt I'll think the new one is any better.

10. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

I thought the first was okay. I'm sure the second will be okay too.

Can't get really hyped for this in any way yet since it's a ways off. Plus three big games I'm hyped for are coming out between now and Gears 2 release: Brawl for Wii, Vegas 2 for 360, and MGS4 for PS3.

11. luftwaffles08 macrumors newbie

As much as the Unreal 3 engine is nice, I'm pretty sure they need to either retire it for something better or let programmers use the Hard Drive. I can't count the number of times I was getting into Mass Effect only to have a cutscene where everyone was just smeary blobs fill me with annoyance.

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'm afraid its not a hard drive issue as UT3 on PS3 suffers from it too even when you fully install the game to the HDD.

Even uncharted suffers the same.

Seems to be a UT3 engine thing.

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Uncharted doesn't use the UE but I know what you are talking about. I don't see anything impressive about GeOW2 as yet well maybe because they haven't showed anything but a damn tech demo:rolleyes:

The first one was kinda bleak and I know this is going to be more of the same with the nice lighting and water effects from the tech demo(whats with these developers flexing their water making skills?)

We'll see I guess.

Bless

14. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

15. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Gears of War was a simply amazing experience if you ask me...I think it easily outdid Halo 2 and 3.

16. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

well yeah but the bar wasn't set too high after those two crapfests *flamesuit activated*

GeOW was great co-op, even if the story and dialogue comprising of "F*** THAT S***!!! KILL THAT BUG B*****!!! YEEAHHH!" was garbage, it was a fun play through with a friend and then.... hm... yeah thats about it. It is easily beaten in one sitting with a buddy and the multiplayer death match stuff was kinda weak.

17. pcypert macrumors 6502

Ok, seeing some of the tech demoes made me a tad more excited about the game. But still am not holding my breath for anything revolutionary. I'm glad its looking like the contrast will be better. My HD CRT does blacks well and that game was way too dark last time around. No details in the shadows. Nice to see them working on this.

I'll be happy with a bit more polish and a longer story mode. Also one or two more moves would be cool. Add some special co-op cover moves to master. I love the run effect and cover system of the first one. Would like to see them pushed further.

Paul