Gears of war, UT3, CoD4 on macbook pro running bootcamp ?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Rotsu, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Rotsu macrumors member

Hi guys,

I would like to know how these games preform under bootcamp on the late 2008 macbook pros with 9600m GT card. Or the older ones with 8600m GT, since they both pretty close anyway.

What kind of settings and resolution you have and what FPS are you getting?

Thanks!

2. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

I don't have one of those laptops, but I do run UT3 on what is basically a lesser spec (graphics wise) iMac, and it runs pretty good, with the graphics on max settings too.
    UT3 at least has a demo, so try that. But just to add.. The full UT3 game with the latest 1.3 update runs better than the demo ever did.

3. socamx macrumors 6502

I ran UT3 demo on my Santa Rosa MBP (2.2 GHz, 128MB 8600GT and 2GB RAM) via Boot Camp with very satisfying results. I found it playable at both the native res at 1440x900 and 1280x800. Only thing I can't attest for is higher resolution textures, the demo only included lower quality textures to save space.

I got on average at the least, 30 FPS, and at the most, 60 during gameplay and firefights. It rarely went under 30, and if it did it was only a short while.

You should have absolutely no problem running UT3 well because it scales very well to many different hardware setups due to Epic knowing what they're doing.

Gears of War uses a slightly older version of the UT3 engine, and may not be as well optimized. It should still in theory run well on it.

4. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

No problem with CoD4 and UT3 on my penryn MBP.. 40-50+ FPS. Can't testify for GoW