Ged

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by StvenH90, Jul 9, 2011.

1. StvenH90 macrumors regular

I came back from my two week trip today, with a nice little surprise in the mail box (below a pile of bills/spam). I passed the GED, :D

That's all, now time to get my ass into college before the dead line.

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Good stuff. :cool:

I assume you are a "mature" student at this point? ;)

3. StvenH90 thread starter macrumors regular

I was never really a trouble student, but I am much more mature then what I was. Then again, I am only 20 with room for a bit more stupidity.

My problems with school, was being openly gay in a somewhat, small close minded town. Leaving was good, but it was stupid of me to wait to get my GED.

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

20 is nothing. Press on. :D

5. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Good for you, keep it up! It's never too late to learn, and 20 isn't even all that late. :)

6. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

7. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I kind of resent the assumption that GED holders were at one point in there life "immature students." A friend of mine has a GED and he was/is an extremely mature and driven person. He was at one point at the top of our high school class but began to have issues with chronic pain which caused him to miss all of this past year (junior year) which killed his GPA (taking him from the top of our class down to the bottom 1/4) so he decided to "drop out" and get his GED and enroll in community college. Unfortunately Michigan is stupid and will not let him receive his GED certificate until our class walks (June of next year) even though he passed the GED test with flying colors, so he's limited in the number of credits he can take at our community college until then.

Anyways I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's wrong to assume that GED holders were screwups or something like that in high school; sometimes traditional education just isn't flexible enough for an individual's situation.

To the OP, congrats on getting your GED, good luck with your future educational endeavors!

-Don

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

You can assume whatever you like, it causes me no pain.

I was an "immature" student, and still don't have my GED.

Mature to me, meant older, not flippant, as you seem to be.

9. 184550 Guest

Eh, there are people who completed high school under much more difficult circumstances.

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Again, there are no absolutes regarding this.

I know a "girl" who has done fine, eventually, despite starting to to blind at 14, and being fully blind by 16.

11. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

A small close minded town here in Florida... never... ;)

Congratulations and good luck with college!

12. StvenH90 thread starter macrumors regular

I grew up in Orlando most of my life... While from traveling, Orlando seems like a small city compared to others. When my parents moved to the "country", it seemed like a small town. In reality, it's probably not that small. It was only an hour from Orlando.

But I will say the teachers was the worse offenders IMHO. Not all, I still have one teacher who is like a good friend. Who I still communicate with today and helped me with the GED. One in the few that cares about there students when they leave...

But what's in the pass, is the pass. It does not matter and can no longer hurt me. Here and now, the feature is all I am worried about.

13. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Future, not feature. That could have been a typo; but it's past, not pass.

14. StvenH90 thread starter macrumors regular

Writing was my lowest score, thanks for the correction. It's something I need to work on.

15. 184550 Guest

I noticed you're new, here's a link to the MR Rules.

16. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Oh like his intentions were foul. :rolleyes:

I think the OP appreciated it and is being humble which is very respectable.

17. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

And there are people who didn't complete high school under much easier circumstances. What's your point?

Congrats to the OP, and good luck with whatever you choose to do now.

18. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

There is a difference between the letter of the law and the spirit of the law. The OP appreciated the correction and given the nature of the thread and the intent to help by the person who offered them I don't think they were uncalled for.

19. 184550 Guest

If he knew enough to correct him, than he obviously wasn't confused. ;)

20. Hellhammer, Jul 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2011

Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Keep it on topic. In this case, the post might have been confusing without correcting and because the correction was done in a friendly matter, so I see no need to do anything about it. NathanMuir wasn't wrong though and it's good that he quoted the rules so DWBurke811 and others know what is the policy on corrections.

Note: Please don't reply to this post. Keep it on topic from now on so we don't have to delete posts or do something else.