gedit natively for Tiger on a PowerPC Mac?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by RileyIL77, Dec 26, 2011.

1. RileyIL77 macrumors newbie

To all who read this. First of all I'm not a programmer, so I can't do this myself. Secondly yes, I know there is already a native gedit for Mac OS X, but it's has to have Leopard or better on an Intel Mac... So can anyone out there try to compile native for PowerPC running Tiger or do you know where to download it already for PowerPC running Tiger? I was told to try MacPorts and I've downloaded that just now. Still it would be cool to use use and install natively.

Also please forgive me if I've posted in the wrong area or if this request violates any forum rules.

2. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

What you're asking could take someone days or even weeks and a very deep bag of coding tools. Not the kind of thing you should ever expect anyone to just do free for you.

You may as well ask for a car while you're at it.

3. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

4. ThunderSnake macrumors 6502

Yes, gedit is distributed under GPL.

5. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Yes it is. You need to actually know how to code though.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

7. ThunderSnake macrumors 6502

Indeed.

OP, what do you need from gedit that you can't get from one of the many readily available PowerPC text editors?

8. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Both the Macs in his signature are G3 so 10.5 is an impossibility. It needs Altivec on PowerPC so that means only G4 or G5 CPU's

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Thanks. That's what I was missing.

B

10. RileyIL77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies.

So, how much money are we talking? I've used gEdit, since I ran Fedora Core 4 as my primary OS years ago. I just fell in love with it. I was a Windows person before that and I saw gedit was free with all the features I used in I used in Editor Plus on Windows. When I got married I went back to Windows, because my wife's college professor claimed he could tell her essays were written in Open Office and not MS Office as required by the class. Now when I went back to Windows I found a version of gedit for Windows. When I got my 2 Macs, I found gedit for Mac, but like I later found out, I needed an Intel Mac with at least Leopard on it.

Again, tell me how much you think it would cost? I'm willing to pay if the price is reasonable.

11. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

You would be far better off just buying a G4 system and running 10.5. The page balamw links to has a PowerPC build for 10.5. You can get the most powerful G4 tower for under $300 which is a dual 1.42GHz PowerMac MDD. It will run 10.5 perfectly. You would be able to run the app you like and also have a much much faster machine than you do now.

It could cost you over $2000 to hire a coder and you have no idea how well the end result would work.

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You could even get a brand spanking new Intel Mac (or a slightly used one) for less than the cost of hiring a coder. :p

B

13. SuperJudge macrumors 6502

SuperJudge

If I'm not mistaken, the MacPorts version is platform agnostic since it's targeting Darwin and not a particular architecture.

Additionally, if you're using a Mac's CLI environment and not using MacPorts, you're missing out.

14. RileyIL77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Humm... Okay. I'll see if I can find one cheap. A friend of mine said something about using Leapard Assistant to upgrade my current iMac to Leopard, but I don't know if that would work. If it does great. If not I'm not sure. I know I would probably have to upgrade the memory, from the current 128 Meg stick in there. Not a problem, as I know it can handle up to 512 Meg of PC100 Laptop memory, and I got a few sticks of it laying around somewhere. I have an old G3 tower where the motherboard is shot in it, another user on here told me I could probably stick a Yikes G4 motherboard in it. I could try that. Thanks again for all your help. You've all been great.

15. Subish macrumors member

As a programmer, all I could think of is that it was complied under a API or SDK that had some function/methods that were needed or made it easy.

Don't get me wrong it MIGHT could be redone using an older version of API / SDK but I'm sure a lot of stuff would have to made to replace the missing function/methods.

I code in Java, php mostly as I write code for USCG. I have some old code that I have to maintain in JDK 1.3 so it take me a lot longer to make things work the way I need them to. In JDK 1.5+ it would be a simple one liner.

You could also contact the development team and ask to release it under 10.4.

16. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

There is no way the dev team would port it back to 10.4 - so few people use it, its more sensible to focus on updating it.

17. Subish macrumors member

Just saying can't hurt to ask, didn't say they would say "Yes" or do it.