Gee, will Apple release an update before the 30 day return expires?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GreggM3, Jul 6, 2010.

1. GreggM3 macrumors 6502

I wonder if Apple will release a software update to address the current issues before or after the 30 day return policy expires? I don't see software fixing the antenna issue and I am curious see when the release comes out...

2. celticpride678

There is no 30 day window. According to Apple, if you are still unsatisfied after the software update, you can return it for a full refund. They are giving you a lot of extra time actually.

3. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

really? do you have press release for this to confirm?

4. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

No, they want to know which customers are loyal to them and reimburse them greatly. At least I hope thats what happens because I'm not planning on returning it anytime soon.

5. celticpride678

6. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

7. simple20 macrumors regular

Worst advice ever. Dude, it says nothing about a return window after the initial 30 days; nothing.

8. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

9. simple20 macrumors regular

10. GreggM3 thread starter macrumors 6502

The proximity sensor may be fixed with software. They would have to adjust the parameters and find a sweet spot in the sensitivity. The antenna issue is clearly hardware and the only way I can see them "fixing" it with software would be to ramp up the radio but that would surely lower battery life not to mention increase SAR.

11. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Clearly hardware? Sure if you want to say it is completely normal behavior shown on other cell phones and older iPhone models( in my opinion anyway). But, how can you say the antenna issue is hardware problem specific to the iPhone 4? Have any expertise?

I am not saying there are no bad eggs out there as some do seem to be hardware. Where others appear to be in an area of poor signal strength( as they can change locations and not have a signal drop). We just don't have enough numbers to support if the hardware problems are widespread.

12. GreggM3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Here is a previous post I made regarding my expertise...
    As a 20+ year veteran of the wireless industry and most of that time was dealing with product quality and root cause/corrective action I can tell you that holding any phone will affect reception and that placing the actual antenna on a surface that can come in contact with human skin makes it that much worse. Add to that the ability to "connect" two different radio antennas by bridging them compounds the issue. This will not be corrected by software. The other issue is that Apple failed miserably at representing accurate signal strength makes a bad situation even worse. I wonder if there are studies being done on the potential higher RF exposure due to no buffer between human skin and the antennas? I know that a company I worked for made their factory pouches so the back/antenna would face away from the body to help signal and avoid excessive exposure.

13. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Ah cool. I am just tired of all the people on this forum jumping to conclusions having really no idea what they are talking about. Most of us can only state an opinion of what we can observe.

While I am no engineering expert, from the teardown from iFixit, while the steel band acts as an antenna, the actual antenna is still internal in that left hand corner( which would explain why it only happens when that corner is touched). And I highly doubt a plastic casing would cause any significant difference in RF exposure.

And in my opinion, seeing videos of the Nexus One and Evo 4G experiencing the same bar level drop from 5 to 1-2 bars when their antenna is covered, I don't think having the external band play a part in the antenna system on the iPhone 4 effects the signal strength any worse then internal ones.

14. GreggM3 thread starter macrumors 6502

The plastic acts as a buffer between the interference caused by human contact. The plastic also won't prevent signal loss but it will minimize it compared to allowing direct contact.

15. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

People are still complaining about the antenna issue? Sure I tried the death grip when it was being discussed on all the tech blogs but seriously I have yet to drop a call or be unable to send a text or load an email. If by this point you haven't realized that this whole thing is not an issue, why wait for the software update? Just take it back.