Geek Challenge: Running OS 9 or earlier on Intel Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cms2, May 13, 2008.

1. cms2 macrumors 6502

cms2

I've searched around on the threads and haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. I've been googling and found some things, which involved some steps that aren't an option for me. Example: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060509180914879&lsrc=osxh

Basically, I'm bored. I thought it would be fun to try to run OS 7.5.3 (The latest OS available for free through APPLE, though I'd be happy to download something newer from a third party if possible - and free) on my mbp 2.2 SR. I don't own a classic mac to extract anything from. I was hoping to do this for free (as it serves no purpose other than giving me something to do while I wait for summer classes to begin) and without damaging or otherwise befuddling Leopard. Of course I have time machine up and running but I'd really prefer to not have to use it.

I've read a bit about sheepsaver but it requires extracting files from an old machine, if I understand the somewhat complex instructions. :confused:

So geeks... any takers?

{Please keep in mind I am somewhere between a n00b and whatever comes after n00b and this is my first attempt at tinkering around.} :cool:

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Sheepshaver isn't the only option, but it's the most straightforward, given what you want to do. Rather than post all the info here, there's a good howto here for the Linux distro which, with the assistance of the OS X binaries and a little adaptation, should get you started.

3. bartelby macrumors Core

Why on earth would you want to run that?!
    :confused:
    It was awful!

4. cms2 thread starter macrumors 6502

cms2

Hah, was it? I don't even know why I wanted to. I honestly can't remember how I stumbled upon the idea. It's storming here; maybe it's the weather. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I think maybe this is a bit over my head anyway.

from the sheepshaver tip site I found: Needed: "A Mac ROM. For B2, you must extract a ROM file from an old 68K Mac that you own. Use CopyROM or ROM-grabber for the extraction. For SheepShaver, use the Mac OS ROM Update 1.0, provided by Apple. None of the other Apple-distributed software-based New World ROMs, nor the Old World ROMs I've extracted from my own Macs have worked. However, to use this ROM, I think you'll need at least System 8.5 (I couldn't get it to run on OS 8.1; maybe older systems don't support New World ROMs?). Extract the ROM from the updater with TomeView. These extractors are themselves Classic apps, so you'll need access to a Mac capable of running Classic or older to get the ROMs."

Since I don't have an old mac lying around, I think this project is dead in the water.

Tersono: I'm really not too comfortable with command prompts. I feel like there's a good chance I'll give my mbp a personality disorder if I fool around with what I don't understand. I don't want it to ask me to play a game of chess and then kill all my friends. :p However, the site you suggested does say you can download the ROM necessary from a link provided. Would I still need a classic mac to run the extraction?