geekbench 13" MBP vs. 13" MBA riddle

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by prism, Jul 20, 2011.

1. prism macrumors 6502a

Ok, I have myself scratching my head on the geekbench results of the new entry level 13" MBA which are within 100 points range to those of the entry level 13" MBP.
    If I am not mistaken, the MBA uses a low voltage 1.7 ghz i5, whilst the MBP has a 2.3 ghz i5. I also presume that both have turbo boost so what gives? I mean if a lower speed processor which is also lower voltage can produce results like this, its clearly superior to those of the MBP line which, mind you, are of the same generation!
    Also if I am not mistaken, geekbench does not measure hd i/o speed so it cant be because the MBA uses flash.
    Anyone with some real knowledge please enlighten me!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I have seen operating system versions cause Geekbench scores to vary wildly.

3. thunng8 macrumors 6502a

The low voltage chip has more aggressive turbo boost. I think it can boost from 1.7Ghz to 2.7Ghz, while the 2.3Ghz i5 can boost to 2.9Ghz. For a benchmark like Geekbench, it will mostly run at boosted speeds. for more intensive benchmarks which will heat up the CPU for longer periods, it is likely that ULV will not be able to turbo boost speed for long periods.

That being said, I think the ULV chip was using the 64 bit version of Geekbench. The 2.3Ghz i5 in the 13" MBP running the 64 bit version of geekbench gets close to 6500, so there is difference. The 2.7Ghz i7 MBP gets approx 7500 in 64 bit Geekbench.

4. Treeman574 macrumors regular

I would imagine the ssd is responsible for a large portion of that score.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

GeekBench does not test the disk drives.

6. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure SSD/hard drive is not factored in Geekbench results.

7. Treeman574 macrumors regular

My mistake, I thought the drive made a difference. These are quite impressive scores for an air.

8. prism thread starter macrumors 6502a

That is very interesting, I was not aware of the significant score difference between 32 and 64!