Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HighEndMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
I had a really hard time migrating my Music, Videos, and pictures from my 2008 MBP to my new retina pro. I quit the wireless migration twice, when I finally did an Ethernet migration it created a new user, so data was all messed up. Apps keep crashing, just a mess. I reinstalled OS X twice already, mind that I just got this computer and I have not even played with it really. (I have also deleted and created like 3 user account, unintentionally)

So I figure I need to cut my loses and return the $4K laptop then reorder it later when it will come with OS ML. By then I will have transferred my files to a HD and do the migration right when I start-up the new fresh rMBP.

I just fear that I have done something wrong right off the bat and now the computer is not 100%

I scored a 12294 on the GeekBench test (32-Bit) and from other videos I have seen 2.3 score 12000. So that makes me believe that I have already slowed down my brand new top of the line computer.

What do you guys think?
What are other 2.7 GeekBench Scores?

Last edited:

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Create a TM backup with your old machine, do a fresh install - TM restore on the new.

Format an external USB drive to HFS+ and your old machine will see it as a TM.

Plus considering the money you've got invested in your Macs get a Time Capsule or Synology NAS (supports TM) if you don't already have one.

xfs

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
I just ran my geekbench and it was 10965 for the base 2.3/8GB. The highest I see for the 2.3 base model is 11,131 on Geekbench. I am not sure about the videos that you have seen. Highest I see for MBPr is 12,445.

I hope it helps.

Urban Spaceman

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2012
I feel sorry for this guy. Wonder what is wrong with his machine?

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/868001
It's very strange isn't it? There seem to be a handful of rMBPs that only score around 4000 in those linked lists. I assume that there's indexing going on, or something else which is killing their performance. I'd be seriously pissed if my fancy new MBP was performing like a five year-old Core2 Duo!

sofianito

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2011
Spain
I had a really hard time migrating my Music, Videos, and pictures from my 2008 MBP to my new retina pro. I quit the wireless migration twice, when I finally did an Ethernet migration it created a new user, so data was all messed up. Apps keep crashing, just a mess. I reinstalled OS X twice already, mind that I just got this computer and I have not even played with it really. (I have also deleted and created like 3 user account, unintentionally)

So I figure I need to cut my loses and return the $4K laptop then reorder it later when it will come with OS ML. By then I will have transferred my files to a HD and do the migration right when I start-up the new fresh rMBP.

I just fear that I have done something wrong right off the bat and now the computer is not 100%

I scored a 12294 on the GeekBench test (32-Bit) and from other videos I have seen 2.3 score 12000. So that makes me believe that I have already slowed down my brand new top of the line computer.

What do you guys think?
What are other 2.7 GeekBench Scores?

Why don't you do a fresh install, install latest updates, then run geekbench 32 and 64 bit???

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
You need to pay for the 64-bit version

----------

It's very strange isn't it? There seem to be a handful of rMBPs that only score around 4000 in those linked lists. I assume that there's indexing going on, or something else which is killing their performance. I'd be seriously pissed if my fancy new MBP was performing like a five year-old Core2 Duo!

There is another thread here where a guy is getting a similar score (4300 or so) and according to the screenshot, there is no indexing going on. But you never know what else is connected or running in the background. USB devices can munch CPU time, there could be TM running and so forth.

HighEndMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
Come on, he would be cheap to not be willing to pay the 64-bit version knowing that he spent $4k for the notebook... XD

I think someone messed this thread up. I scored a 12209 (Something like that) running the 32-bit.
(This was after all my migration problems and reinstalling Lion, ect..)

With a maxed out pro, I figured the score would be slightly higher right out of the box.

I think I’m just going to return it and order it again after ML is released. I just want things to be perfect when I’m dropping that kinda cash.

Maybe it’s all in my head but i just feel like its messed up now. because it was not wiped clean properly.

Queen6

macrumors G4
11081 (32bit) is top i have seen for my 2.3, the difference in performance is not staggering by any means 8% - 10% at very best and you need to do several runs with Geek Test and average them as one test in isolation not definitive.

Franky unless you can moniterize the addition cost of the 2.7 or simply want the biggest numbers you are wasting your $$$ as it`s not going to blow away the 2.6 or 2.3 in any shape or form.

Geek Test requires that you must close all open apps and the fewer processes running the better as any app open or any unnecessary process will reduce the Geek Test score. Those with very low scores likely failed to read the instruction and had several apps running.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I think someone messed this thread up. I scored a 12209 (Something like that) running the 32-bit.

With a maxed out pro, I figured the score would be slightly higher right out of the box.

I think I’m just going to return it and order it again after ML is released. I just want things to be perfect when I’m dropping that kinda cash.

Maybe it’s all in my head but i just feel like its messed up now. because it was not wiped clean properly.
Around 12,000 in 32-bit geek bench is exactly what you should be getting. Click on the link kindly provided above to see that your machine's score is perfectly in line with other 2.7 machines. There is nothing wrong with your computer.

Last edited:

Urban Spaceman

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2012

What planet are you living on? Seriously? All the evidence shows that your 12209 is right for your spec' rMBP. There's nothing wrong with it. And even if you did mess-up the migration, just reinstall OS X and start again. It's not like the machine is tainted in any way!

EDIT: Beaten by theSeb (who has a much better bedside manner than I)

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
You need to pay for the 64-bit version

----------

There is another thread here where a guy is getting a similar score (4300 or so) and according to the screenshot, there is no indexing going on. But you never know what else is connected or running in the background. USB devices can munch CPU time, there could be TM running and so forth.

I might be that guy. :) I was consistently getting in the 4000 range. I erased my drive and reinstalled lion, and I was still getting 4000. Spotlight had finished indexing both before and after the reinstall when I tested. I checked for malware with ClamxAV. I checked for runaway processes with iStat Pro. I used Disk Utility and made sure that permissions and the drive were normal. I also ran Apple Hardware Test, and it reported that there were no problems. After the clean install, I refrained from installing any software except for the Apple updates in Software Update. I didn't have any USB devices connected, and Time Machine was off. Anyway, I couldn't figure out why the machine was not performing as expected, so it's on its way back to Apple. Mine was a 2.3/16/256.

The wait resumes...

HighEndMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
Around 12,000 in 32-bit geek bench is exactly what you should be getting. Click on the link kindly provided above to see that your machine's score is perfectly in line with other 2.7 machines. There is nothing wrong with your computer.

Good to know, but still, having apps crash back-to-back is not cool. Plus i think you are right, i might just get the 2.6 + AppleCare & maybe One-on-One so i can have Apple do the migration.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX

That's a good score.

HighEndMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
What planet are you living on? Seriously? All the evidence shows that your 12209 is right for your spec' rMBP. There's nothing wrong with it. And even if you did mess-up the migration, just reinstall OS X and start again. It's not like the machine is tainted in any way!

EDIT: Beaten by theSeb (who has a much better bedside manner than I)

I'm on Earth, most of the time. But yes I do feel my computer is 'tainted', I don’t know why, I just do.

& I did the reinstall, twice, but it did not work, its user error most likely but damn...

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I might be that guy. :) I was consistently getting in the 4000 range. I erased my drive and reinstalled lion, and I was still getting 4000. Spotlight had finished indexing both before and after the reinstall when I tested. I checked for malware with ClamxAV. I checked for runaway processes with iStat Pro. I used Disk Utility and made sure that permissions and the drive were normal. I also ran Apple Hardware Test, and it reported that there were no problems. After the clean install, I refrained from installing any software except for the Apple updates in Software Update. I didn't have any USB devices connected, and Time Machine was off. Anyway, I couldn't figure out why the machine was not performing as expected, so it's on its way back to Apple. Mine was a 2.3/16/256.

The wait resumes...
You are indeed. Sounds like you checked all of the obvious culprits so returning it was the best thing to do.

----------

I'm on Earth, most of the time. But yes I do feel my computer is 'tainted', I don’t know why, I just do.

& I did the reinstall, twice, but it did not work, its user error most likely but damn...

Your computer is definitely tainted due to the PEBKAC.

HighEndMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
You are indeed. Sounds like you checked all of the obvious culprits so returning it was the best thing to do.

----------

Your computer is definitely tainted due to the PEBKAC.

Ahhhh the old "ID-10T error", I get you, nice. Thanks for that, I might cry now.

But really aside from the GeekBench Score, the apps crashing and the corrupt data from the migration, it will still frag the SSD, right. (potentially)

----------

Sounds like buyer's remorse. Horrible feeling.

Kinda, but not really, I love the computer, well I think I do. But its more of me being a perfectionist and since I sprung for the maxed out version, I want to do things the right way the first time. (Like the data migration and having ML preinstalled)

I guess I’m just anal about that kinda stuff. (also probably combined with a lack of knowledge for the new OS and computer, new OS to me I was on SL)

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Ahhhh the old "ID-10T error", I get you, nice. Thanks for that, I might cry now.

But really aside from the GeekBench Score, the apps crashing and the corrupt data from the migration, it will still frag the SSD, right. (potentially)

----------

Kinda, but not really, I love the computer, well I think I do. But its more of me being a perfectionist and since I sprung for the maxed out version, I want to do things the right way the first time. (Like the data migration and having ML preinstalled)

I guess I’m just anal about that kinda stuff. (also probably combined with a lack of knowledge for the new OS and computer, new OS to me I was on SL)
No, it won't. You remind me of people that won't drive with their lights on, because they think it will wear out their alternator.

Last edited:

sofianito

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2011
Spain
your computer is definitely tainted due to the pebkac.

lol

uf980506.gif

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
No, it won't. You remind me of people that won't drive with their lights on, because they think it will wear out their alternator.

Oh my gosh, I knew a guy who wouldn't run his automobile air conditioner in the summer IN TEXAS because he was afraid of the additional wear and tear. :eek: I rode with him one time and never again. At one point, he actually pulled over and got a tiny cup of ice from McDonald's and threw it on his hood because he was afraid that his car was overheating (as if a cup of ice would do anything except ding his hood). I laugh about it today, but that was a miserable ride.

Back to the Mac, instead of waiting, I reassessed my needs and picked up a base model at the Apple store. I opened it in the store and used their wifi and gradually installed apps while checking geekbench periodically, and I was hitting 10000 to 11000 every time. :)

I'll be checking for ghosting, dead pixels and light bleed tonight, but so far, so good. :D

Last edited:

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Oh my gosh, I knew a guy who wouldn't run his automobile air conditioner in the summer IN TEXAS because he was afraid of the additional wear and tear. :eek: I rode with him one time and never again. At one point, he actually pulled over and got a tiny cup of ice from McDonald's and threw it on his hood because he was afraid that his car was overheating (as if a cup of ice would do anything except ding his hood). I laugh about it today, but that was a miserable ride.

Back to the Mac, instead of waiting, I reassessed my needs and picked up a base model at the Apple store. I opened it in the store and used their wifi and gradually installed apps while checking geekbench periodically, and I was hitting 10000 to 11000 every time. :)

I'll be checking for ghosting, dead pixels and light bleed tonight, but so far, so good. :D
haha. Yes, that's the kind of person I am talking about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.