Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Interesting. Wild guess - I expect the iPhone 4 to score about 400. Maybe even 500. My 3 year old Macbook 2.2ghz scores around 2600.

400-500 is a decent score for something that's 1/4 of the size and weight of just my macbook battery. The way things are going, iPhones will be as powerful as laptops in 5 or 6 years time.

Benchmarking a phone. Huh. 3 years ago I would have laughed at the idea.

Considering 3GS is ~260 give or take, I'd not expect it to jump that high. Though, if the memory performance is as increased as rumoured, I guess it just might.

Burglnar

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2010
Someone with an iPhone 4 needs to run this now!!!

^+1!!

One of you lucky early delivery folks who have $5 to waste, let us know what you score with no apps running (clear the taskbar) and one with all 8 save states filled- preferably with various system and entertainment apps like pandora etc..

Anyone?? Please! I can't wait another day and half! Haha

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Considering 3GS is ~260 give or take, I'd not expect it to jump that high. Though, if the memory performance is as increased as rumoured, I guess it just might.

You might be right. I'll scale my guess back to 350-odd. Most likely 340.

The bottom end of http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/mac-benchmarks/ is very interesting. Seems the iPod is already more powerful than all G3 macs, and the iPhone 4 looks to be about the same as a PowerMac G4 533MHz. If the benchmarks can be compared of course.

As someone said in another thread, 1GHz processor, 512MB ram, 100MHZ bus, where have we heard this before?

Nevertheless, 50% processor power increase per year per phone model for 3 years straight is not bad. Hot stuff.

AJerman

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2009
Spoiler Alert: It makes the iPhone 3G sooooo slow by eating up even more of the phone's RAM. I used to run somewhere around 15-30MB of free RAM on 3.1.2, but with iOS4, I'm lucky to have 5MB free even after a reboot :(

What?! You might want to get your phone checked out if that's the case. My 3G got 50-60 MB of free memory at a max before iOS 4, and with iOS 4 (with multitasking, wallpapers and the battery percentage all enabled) I currently have 55 MB free.

ericschmerick

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2004
Interesting. I am actually tempted fork over 4.99. I think that makes me an idiot.

I guess they'll make their money mostly off guys like me, who get that all the phones are _supposed_ to be the same and not customizable, but "surely my phone is running slower than normal - seems a little slower than Bob's over there". Just want to download it, confirm that I get the same score, and then probably never run it again. :)

Anyway, I have the original 3G. It's painful to see that score of 138. The 3GS is something like 260? iPhone 4 is ~ 350 or something? Ug, no wonder my phone feels so slow running the same OS as those other two. That plus the big fat 116MB of ram, vs 256 and 512.

How painful. I need a new phone.

derek4484

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2010
Interesting that it has processor speed and memory. I thought those stats were only available from prohibited APIs. And yeah, considering there is absolutely nothing anyone can do to change their results other than running in a freezer or an oven. $4.99 seems over priced by about $4.99.

Exactly. You buy it for $5, then run it once and find out what your score is and then you never need it again. Seems pretty steep. Maybe should be $0.99.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.