Geekbench comparison: Penryn vs. Broadwell

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ribbon, Mar 11, 2015.

1. ribbon macrumors member

Ok so, a few years ago I used to be up to date in the processors Intel/AMD stuff. Nowadays, I have basically no idea. The thing is: I have a MBP 17'' (mid 2009) that as far I as recall it uses a Penryn processor. I'm looking for comparisons between this processor and the new Intel Core M.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I basically want to know how big the difference between both processors would be (Penryn 2.4GHz if I remember correctly and the 1.3GHz Broadwell Core M).

Thank you!

2. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

The 1.3GHz Core-M has roughly the same power as the i5 520M processor from around 5 years ago.

It's more than good enough for most users needs. Anyone wanting serious horsepower wouldn't be looking at the 12" MacBook anyway.

3. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

I have the same Penryn, it scores around 2500 in Geekbench 3 64-bit (1400 single core).

As far as I recall, the Broadwell-Y chips score between 4000 and 5000 (multicore), which puts them at around Sandy Bridge performance. That's not too bad to be honest. It will even handle some light video editing for sure.

EDIT: Here's a comparison between my MacBook (with Penryn) and a Core M 5Y70.

4. ribbon thread starter macrumors member