Geekbench: OS X vs. Win7 (BC)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by El Awesome, Jul 25, 2012.

1. El Awesome macrumors 6502

El Awesome

Hey guys,

I own a Late '08 MBP with 2.8Ghz C2D and 4GB RAM, OS X Lion 10.7.4 installed.
    I installed Win7 via BootCamp for gaming purposes.

Now, I ran Geekbench 2 on OS X, getting score of 3961 (pretty good actually, compared to other machines with same specs).
    Then I booted on Win7, ran it again and I just got a score 3323 - 20% less.
    Both of them were 32bit-runs. Either on OS X and Win7 I closed all open programs. BootCamp drivers are installed and updated.

I'm wondering why this happens - since Geekbench is a hardware test, there shouldn't be any differences?

Alex

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

A hardware test that relies on drivers to interact with that hardware. No matter how much people try to compare the performance, its like nailing jello to a tree. System overhead, finicky drivers, other possible installed apps sucking the cpu may impact the benchmark.

My recommendation is that if its fast enough for your daily needs, then don't worry about the score.

3. El Awesome thread starter macrumors 6502

El Awesome

Thanks!
    I don't have tocare about CPU speed anyway, it's the GPU which is getting at its limits while playing..

I thought about updating to 8GB RAM. On OS X, I often use Photoshop, Illustrator and After Effects.
    But on the other hand I'm looking for a good 2009 Mac Pro which I upgrade then. If that is the case, the money I spent on the RAM would be pretty much wasted.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For me, the only time I care or use benchmarks is comparing my current machine to a new machine. That is how much fast does the benchmarks show the Ivy Bridge MBP to my old C2D MBP.

True, it doesn't really offer real world numbers, but its a good standard measurement to see that its x times faster. Other then that, I just enjoy my new laptop :)