Geekbench request: rMBP @ 1680x1050

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hobbbz, Jul 25, 2012.

1. hobbbz macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

I need to see if it really does dip in performance.
    I currently have a HiRes 2011 MBP and can't take the "lowered" retina resolution because I am a designer who mostly does not use a 2nd monitor.

2. stevelam macrumors 65816

thats not going to help you. geekbench doesn't measure anything that has to do with the set resolution.

and i have no idea how you're designing on the RMBP with no external monitor. sounds futile to me.

3. hobbbz thread starter macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

Wouldn't the described "lag" show up in how long it took actions to report?
    Anyway, the question was for the bench not for a critique of how I work.

4. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

No, it tests the power of the primary components. That power is the same regardless of the resolution being used.

Think of it this way. It is like a car that is towing something else. The heavier whatever you are towing is, the slower it will move. The engine, however, is still putting out the same power.

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

No.

6. Slivortal macrumors 6502

Geekbench purely measures processor speeds. Everything else, from graphics to RAM to SSD (or lack thereof), should be for the large part irrelevant.

7. hobbbz thread starter macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

I wonder if there's any software that does measure real use then. I know Ars uses something that runs Photoshop actions or something.

8. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Honestly, just get some cheap or free game and set it to show the frame rates. Change the resolution and look how the frame rates fluctuate and that will give you a decent idea how the overall performance changes with resolutions.

9. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Why not buy one and test it out for ~14days to see if you truly like the rMBP, while waiting for someone to give you their testing experience?

10. qpiqp macrumors member

My base, with 16gb of RAM, was 12xxx. I forget the exact number but I think it was closer to 12000 than 13000