Geekbench, what does it mean?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Woojun912, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Woojun912 macrumors member

Hi, I'm a new mac user. :apple:
    Been on youtube all morning and bumped into people using this app called "Geekbench" so I, myself, gave it a try but what does it mean?

Here is my result.

Attached Files:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its an application that produces a benchmark score on the performance of your computer. Compare those numbers to others on geekbench's site.

3. Woojun912 thread starter macrumors member

Is that score okay?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

What bugs me is that Windows and OS X get different results on the same hardware.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Does your computer do what you ask of it?

7. Woojun912 thread starter macrumors member

I don't do anything intensive like designing. I'm a pre-med student who just surfs on websites, email, youtube, video recording/taking pictures, uploading videos and pictures, chatting. That's pretty much it. Once I'm in college, I will be taking notes and doing power points etc. but not now.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

to be honest, I do not even look at that. I use geekbench to see how much faster a new mac is then my current mac. While not ideal, it does provide some feedback in how the new model should perform. That way I can make a decision to buy or not.

I usually load it up on one of the Macs in the apple store and compare those numbers to my current mac. It helps me make an informed decision :)

9. Woojun912 thread starter macrumors member

Now I feel stupid posting this forum lol... :confused:

10. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

you will have no issues taking notes or powerpoints on your MAC regardless of the Benchmark Score

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nah, you learn by asking. No big deal ;)

12. Woojun912 thread starter macrumors member

:)
    I just ordered a moshi keyboard cover. Does anyone have these things?

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Perhaps my expectations of Geekbench being platform agnostic were a bit too high. I have seen scores increase with newer operating system versions. I wonder how many minimalist, as close to bare metal benchmarks exist. I have not looked into that, yet.

14. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

A lot of this may come down to the languages they are written in. It would be interesting to know what the Windows version is written (that info may be available, but I did not search for it).

15. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

That score is normal for a late 2011 Macbook Pro 13". 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5. I have an early 2011 Macbook Pro 13". For comparison, 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 and it gets ~6000 points.

16. immanuelsun macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I guess your MBP is MC373.

17. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

Don't feel stupid for asking questions. It's a great way to learn.

18. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

They're the best. Used them for over a year already. Very strong. When its dirty you can easily see it(its transparent so yea, obviously) but i just take it and scrub it hard with some soap! Durable strong and nice. Although one con is that it blocks out the speakers on the 13"

19. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

Thats about double the score of my 3yo 24" iMac, so yea, I'd say thats a pretty good score.

20. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Not much really for reasons already posted above. Geeks love to use it to show off. Benchmarks are just benchmarks. You can use them as a basis for comparing hardware but it's a bit flawed.

If you're into performance auto stuff it's basically the equivalent of a dyno (misused roughly the same way as well).

21. jfpoole macrumors newbie

Geekbench's benchmarks are written in C and C++.

Geekbench is designed to measure the overall performance of your system, not just the raw performance of your hardware. This includes the performance of your operating system, and the compiler used to build the majority of applications on your system (Visual C++ on Windows, gcc elsewhere).

So Mac OS X and Windows get different scores on the same hardware for two reasons; performance differences in the operating systems, and performance differences in the code generated by the compilers used to build Geekbench.

22. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Just to add one detail here: OSX is built using Apples own C/C++/objective-C compiler (Apple LLVM, some variant of the LLVM compiler), and I think it is also the default compiler for applications built using Xcode.

23. mark28 macrumors 68000

You can't compare geekbench scores with computers. MBP score higher than iMac's, yet the iMac's are faster than the MBP in real tests.

24. iforbes, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2012

iforbes macrumors 6502

I got a 7234 on my late 2011 13" 2.8GHz i7 8GB ram...but I only ran it in 32-bit mode as I did not want to spend $13 to run 64-bit. Is that all the $13 version does that the free version doesn't?

...according to their benchmark page, I should be seeing closer to 7700....hmmm