Geekbench

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by acb2m, Oct 25, 2010.

1. acb2m macrumors member

I downloaded Geekbench a couple times now but I can't get it to work. Every time i open it it just makes another copy of Geekbench without doing anything else. I've tried stuffit expander and unarchiver with the same result. Can anyone tell me how to run Geekbench?

2. acb2m thread starter macrumors member

Let me explain exactly what I'm doing. I download geekbench, the file is Geekbench21-MacOSX.dmg.gz. I double click it and I get Geekbench21-MacOSX.dmg.gz 2.cpgz with no option to drag it to the application folder. Am I doing something wrong?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. acb2m thread starter macrumors member

I'm not seeing that. Like I said when I open it it just loops to making a copy of itself. Theres not ejectable volume under the Mac HD and certainly no application to drag. :/

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Open a Finder window next to that one and just drag the icon as shown. That's two windows showing in that pic.

You may be double-clicking repeatedly on the .gz file which only unzips it. Double-click on the .dmg file to open the .dmg.
    ScreenCap 1.PNG

6. acb2m thread starter macrumors member

That's what I'm trying to say there is no .dmg. When I double click the .dmg.gz file all i get is another .dmg.gz file. I don't know why it's not working.

7. shaunymac macrumors 6502

Follow what GGJstudios said and you will be up and running. I just downloaded it for a comparison to the new Air's.

My 2.4 SR MBP scored 3238. Not to bad.

Good Luck!

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try right-clicking on the .gz file and Open With: StuffIt Expander.

9. acb2m thread starter macrumors member

Yep I just downloaded it and installed it with no problem on my brothers macbook. I'm using a 2006 MBP that's on its last legs, could that be the issue? God I can't wait to get the new MBA!

10. shaunymac macrumors 6502

Did you read what I wrote? I have an '07 that scored better than the new Air's and just about as good as the 13'' macbook pro.

Maybe just throw some upgrades to it?

If not, I can definately see why the Air appeals to you. Just watch out if you are a heavy user.

Glad that you are up and running.

11. acb2m thread starter macrumors member

I tried everything I just can't get geekbench to install. I've done some upgrades to this laptop mainly 4gb memory and a 500gb hd. Problem is the computer just doesn't work anymore. The optical drive is broken, 1 usb drive doesn't work, if I close the screen I need to shut off and turn on the computer anywhere from 50-150 times to get the screen to come on making it basically not a laptop anymore. The Air appeals to me because since my optical drive has been broken for about a year now I've gotten used to now having it, it's much more portable (any laptop is more portable at this point) considering it's 2.9 lbs and I take it to class and the library every day. Also the 7 hour battery life will really be nice. But most of all what I like about it is no moving parts since I can be a little clumsy (example A the computer I'm typing on). Really just looking forward to a portable, simple computer to do the basic movie watching, writing, music, run SAS in windows and surf the web. I really wanted to wait til the next revision to see if they'd add the new Sandy Bridge but after this computer overheated and shut down for an hour when I opened netflix I just can't wait.

12. acb2m thread starter macrumors member

Just realized my right fan isn't turning on and I'm consistently showing temperatures above 170F on the GPU. Not sure how that compares to other 06 macbook pros but it can't be good.