GeekTool and problem with URL

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NegativeGravity, Aug 29, 2011.

1. NegativeGravity macrumors newbie

Hi there, just wondering if anyone can help me. I've searched around and can't find any other similar problems, so thought I'd post a new question.

Just got GeekTool and trying to set up a link to magicseaweed (surf website) to show me current forecasts on my desktop.

I've so far got the URL from:
    http://magicseaweed.com/Tynemouth-Longsands-Surf-Report/26/

to:
    http://magicseaweed.com/syndicate/index.php?licenseKey=1314620281_46359

But whenever I add this to the URL link within GeekTool, nothing comes up. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Any help wold be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Not sure what you're trying to do exactly? What type of Geeklet are you using and what's in it currently?

jW

3. NegativeGravity thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm trying to put that image on my desktop, complete with the updating surf reports as they come. I'm trying to use the "image"geeklet. Am I going to wrong way about this?!

Ta

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Ah, ok. Which image do you want to use? I was able to put the graph towards the top up there without any issue, but the forecast lower down doesn't appear to actually be a single image that you could use. One thing I'd suggest is always to make sure you set a good refresh rate.

EDIT: And yes, it sounds to me like you're doing it the right way, except I don't think you're putting the URL of an actual image in. You won't be able to put that moving map on there, you'll need a static image.

jW

5. NegativeGravity thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

No, unfortunately, none of those are actually images (they're dynamically generated). WebClip in Dashboard could display them probably, but not on your desktop.

jW

7. jsgreen macrumors 6502

Wondering if the OP ever came up with a way to show surf conditions via Geektool? I'd love to see the local surf forecast on my desktop.