Geektool Desktop Advice

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sshaw, May 3, 2010.

1. sshaw macrumors newbie

Hello, I'm new to the forum so go easy on me. But I'm a huge Apple fan so should fit in pretty well.

I have a question for anyone out there who is into customizing their desktop. This is my current desktop setup (for my second display) created with Geektool. I'm pretty happy with it but being as anal as I am I want the AM/PM lights to be lit properly. I can create two desktop wallpapers but OSX wallpaper settings aren't detailed enough to change the image every 12 hours. The only other thing I could think of was to create a 24 hour video, 12 hours of AM followed by 12 of PM. Then use Mach Desktop to play the video. Though this is crazy overkill and would unnecessarily use a ton of resources. Any ideas would be awesome!

Running OSX 10.6 on a MBP and using Geektool 3.0.

Attached Files:

2. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Clever setup. I am not sure how exactly to do what you're asking, but I'm sure it's possible. As a side note: What happens when the month is longer than 3 letters? ;)

I did some quick search for changing a wallpaper on a timer, but haven't found anything yet. It's got to be possible, though. Best of luck.

3. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Nice. I don't completely understand what you're asking either with the whole AM PM thing. Maybe if you showed us what it should look like when it's AM and then when it's PM.

Welcome to the Forums.

4. sshaw thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought about that. The Geektool box for the month is set to the width of the black box behind it. So, while the script will bring in the entire month the box will crop it to the first 3 letters :).

Attached is an example of what I want to accomplish. Essentially a way to switch between these 2 images. So AM appears lit in the AM and PM appears lit in the PM.

Attached Files:

• AM.jpg
      AM.jpg
      File size:
      50.2 KB
      Views:
    • PM.jpg
      PM.jpg
      File size:
      49.9 KB
      Views:
  5. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

I would think it easier to tell geektool to display [​IMG] under the AM when it is 00:00 − 12:59, and then display [​IMG] under the PM when it is 13:00 − 23:59. That way you only have one wallpaper. However I don't know the script for this.

6. sshaw thread starter macrumors newbie

I also thought along those lines but geektool doesn't give any sort of timing (other than refresh) and I wouldn't know how to do the scripting to make it happen either. :)

7. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

If I were you I would be asking around to see if anyone does, or try searching for it. I think you may have a better chance at finding that than how to switch a desktop background at a certain time.

8. sshaw thread starter macrumors newbie

That's probably true. I'll see what I can dig up.

9. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

I suppose. I could see a few problems with that though. I will try to find some stuff for you if I can. Good find though.