Geektool load at startup

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shadowfayre, Dec 1, 2009.

1. shadowfayre macrumors regular

How do you add Geektools PrefPane to the login? I tried finding the solution in the documentation and search here. The only thing I found was thisthread. I disable and re-enabled (which seem to just remove the icon and had me copy it back to PreferncePanes) but did not give me an option.

I know running applications, you can right click in the dock to add to startup items, but Preference Panes, I am missing the key how-to. Thanks,

2. tbertran macrumors newbie

Did you find the solution for this? Mine doesn't start-up automatically either (whether it be after logout or restart).

Thanks.

3. thundermuppet macrumors newbie

thundermuppet

Right... same here. Anybody?

There are a lot of people using this so: Can someone please answer this?

Geektool just won't launch at startup... any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

What version are you using? I have 3.0 (12A) and there's a check box for "Enable" and that's all I have done and it starts automatically.

5. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I have my checkbox for "enable" checked, but it didn't restart automatically after a reboot.....anyone???

6. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

Does GeekTool show up in your Login Items list? ( via System Preferences > Accounts > Login Items)

If not you can try manually adding it, the geektool app is located within it's preference pane, which should be found in Finder (if installed for all users) at ... /Library/PreferencePanes/GeekTool.prefPane/Contents/Resources/GeekTool.app

If you did install it just for current user then it would probably be at /Users/USERNAME/Library/PreferencePanes/GeekTool.prefPane/Contents/Resources/GeekTool.app

7. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Indeed, it was not shwoing up in the login items list, so I added the prefpane based on another thread here that showed just the prefpane in login items -(/Users/USERNAME/Library/PreferencePanes/GeekTool.prefPane), I didn't go down the entire path to add the .app file itself. I haven't rebooted to test it, but if it doesn't work, I will then try the full path to the .app file.

Thanks for the suggestion!

8. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Need some help for when I go to add geektool as a login item for my account.

First, the only place the prefpane shows up is in my USERNAME tree, not the root of the hard drive.

Second, when I drill down on the item, I get as far as /USERNAME/Library/PreferencePanes/GeekTool.prefPane and that's all there is, there's no /Contents/Resources/GeekTool.app to select.

So, I add /USERNAME/Library/PreferencePanes/GeekTool.prefPane to my login items (yes, I click the lock first) and it shows geektools.prefpane as an "item" with Mac OS X Preference Pane as the "kind".

It seems to stay for a while, but after a few hours if I check my login preferences, it's totally gone from the list.

I guess my questions are; how do I drill down to the geektool app? or, how can I get the prefpane to stay in my login itmes list?

9. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

Right that is because you installed it for only that user, and not system wide.

Yeah you don't want to add the preference pane as a startup item, that won't do anything, other than perhaps open the preference pane at startup which isn't what you want.

In order to find the app inside of the preference pane, you must goto "/Users/USERNAME/Library/PreferencePanes" like you did to find the prefPane, then right click on GeekTool.prefpane and choose "Show Package Contents". You will now see a new folder called "Contents". Navigate these folders by going to "Contents" then open "Resources" and here you will find the GeekTool.app

Alternatively you can also use terminal to open this directory directly by typing
    Code:
    open /Users/USERNAME/Library/PreferencePanes/GeekTool.prefPane/Contents/Resources/
    For the above code make sure you replace the username with your username

Once you have located the GeekTool.app by either method make it a startup item by just dragging it onto the Login Items field in Accounts in System Settings and you should be set.

10. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Thanks a heap tag.....great explanation...found the app, and it's in my login items...hopefully it'll startup properly now.

11. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

OK...now this is just grating on my nerves. A couple days ago I located the actual Geektool.app and dragged it into my account's login items (yes, I turned off the padlock). I closed system preferences, re-opened them and it was still showing in my login items.

Last night, I open sys prefs, look at my login items and Geektool is gone! WTF? I don't sleep my machine or turn it off, it has been running for the last 3 days. Do I need to restart after adding it to my login items or something?

12. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

Do you have any other login items? Do they work fine and Geektool is the only one not working properly?

There is a decent size thread going on Apple's forums of people having all of thier login items disappear. Some had success with deleting the associated login file .plists and starting from scratch and re adding all of their login items. Another solution seemed to be to lock the .plist files so that they couldn't be changed. Though anytime you wanted to add a new login file you would have to first unlock the .plists. Here is another link showing the trick of locking the .plist file.

Maybe one of those solutions will help.

13. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Thanks for the tips tag. I have several other login items and they seem to behave correctly...I haven't noticed anything disappearing, but I could try adding in something else for the heck of it and see if it stays in the list or not....or just remember to start Geektool everytime I reboot!