Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Punkwaffle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Ok, I've gotten pretty familiar with Geektool over the past week and am looking for a very simple task list to put on my desktop. I am aware of the simple todo.txt file solution. I am also aware of the iCalBuddy scripts.

Here's what I am trying for:

1. A simple to do/task list that can be edited on the web, dashboard, and iphone.
  2. Have that task list show up on my desktop through Geektool.
  3. Most importantly, have it sync automatically no matter where the list is edited.

Solutions I have tried, albeit unsuccessfully:
  • iCal is great, however you cannot view/edit/sync tasks on the iPhone.
  • Things is great, however you can only sync via WiFi.
  • Google Tasks is very promising, but where the f*** is the API already?
  • Toodledo comes closest, and I am able to get somethings to show in Geektool by using a shell command to pull the rss, however the formatting sucks and I have no idea how to change it.

If anyone has a better idea, I would love to hear it, as I'm sure lots of others would too.

Punkwaffle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Anyone know why apple decided not to put tasks on the iPhone iCal? This could have been very easily implemented and would have avoided the problem altogether.

Punkwaffle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
One last bump before I give up on this...hopefully someone here is willing to help.

BMN

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2009
SyncBook

I do something similar using SyncBook to sync and be able to edit the .txt files on both my iPhone and my Mac. The only thing is it doesn't sync well if you've edited the same file in both locations since last sync, so you need to sync often.

The lists are all displayed on my desktop using Geektool, and I add to them using Quicksilver's append function.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.