Geenrall purpose zoom lense for DSLR video

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by funkytwig, Jul 30, 2012.

1. funkytwig macrumors member

Currently I have
    - Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
    - Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
    - Canon EF 50 mm F/1.8

I am looking at Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) to replace the 2 zoom lenses. How are these likely to compare in terms of Image stabilization and picture quality? Are there any other lenses that I should look at (I am primarily 'upgrading' so I don't have to change lenses as I shoot documentary.

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

We had the first version and changed them to the second (PZD) version. Huge improvement. You only want the second generation.

Popular Photography had the lens in their holiday gift. Several other mags have given it very good reviews. it starts to get soft after 200mm. But what can one expect give the huge range they are attempting to handle?

It is a great walk around genera purpose lens that we keep on our 7Ds. In my opinion, it would let you replace the two Canon zooms.

3. d4rkc4sm macrumors 6502

d4rkc4sm

4. Prodo123, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012

Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

General purpose zoom for video?
    It MUST HAVE IS. Otherwise you cannot handhold it.
    A superzoom like the one you want is pathetic in image quality. It has massive amounts of distortion and is not that sharp.

What I do recommend is one of the two standard zooms with IS. The EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM is a good choice; it has a big aperture and is the only standard zoom with both a f/2.8 and IS. Image quality is also top-notch.

But there's also the more well-known alternative, the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM. It does sacrifice a stop of light, but in exchange you gain almost twice the reach. This comes bundled with the 5D line as a "kit lens" and has made HDDSLR movie recording famous. It has the range of 38.4mm to 168mm, which is a long standard to medium telephoto. Very good for video on both full frame and crop.

Since you're looking to use a one-lens-fits-all solution, I'd recommend the 24-105 over the 17-55. They're approximately the same price ($1000) and are equal in optical performance, so I guess the extra reach is worth it for you.

5. jaredwaynef macrumors member

Couldn't agree more with the IS choice. I also second anything with a f/2.8 or any type of constant aperture in that ballpark. When shooting movies with a DSLR, if you plan to zoom, you'll need the exposure to be consistent or the footage will come out "wonky." The lens you are thinking about purchasing, in my honest opinion, is a pretty awful choice for film. The f/6.3 at the high end will make shots at night completely impossible. Even the f/3.5 will BARELY be able to pull off dusk/early morning shots.

Also it's important to ask if you're using a crop or full frame sensor. If it's a crop, I'd recommend starting you at 17mm for wider shots. A 24 COULD work in most scenarios, but I really think a 17-55 2.8 is probably the best choice out there for all-around video zoom lens. Sure you can get a nicer telephoto lens when the time comes, but for now, stick with:

A. Constant Aperture
    Aa. (If wanting lower light) At least a f/2.8
    B. (If Crop sensor) Lower Start Focal Lengths (17/24)
    Ba. (If full frame) Medium Start Focal Length (24/28)
    C. Image Stabilization

Just my opinions. I've been shooting video on a DSLR for about a year and half, so I'm not pro. But it's what I've learned so far from the work.

6. VI™ macrumors 6502a

7. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

the new 40mm :rolleyes:

Great lens

8. ocabj macrumors 6502a

ocabj

Personally, I'd get the 24-105 f/4L IS.

I have the 24-70 f/2.8L and really want the 24-105 because of IS for when using a shoulder rig.

As far as f/4 being too 'slow', that's what higher ISO and/or lighting is for.