GEForce 4MX vs. ATI 9000 for Quicksilver

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bunnspecial, Sep 4, 2014.

1. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I've been using a GeForce 4MX in my Quicksilver for a while, and considering what it is and the limitations of what's available for G4s, I've been pretty happy with the performance of it.

I recently bought a bunch of MDD parts, and among them have a spare ATI 9000.

My GEForce 4 has 64mb of VRAM, and on paper it looks pretty similar to the 9000(also with 64mb of VRAM).

Other than the interface differences(i.e. DVI and ADC on the 9000 vs VGA and ADC on the GE Force, both of which I can deal with as appropriate) would I gain anything by upgrading the card in my Quicksilver?

Or, I suppose I could just break down and buy a Geforce 4 Ti and settle the argument :)

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I personally would get the GeForce 4 Ti but that is just me. Intell can give you a detailed breakdown and performance standards on all of the cards.

Intell... you hath been summoned by name...

3. robertdsc macrumors regular

robertdsc

I had the same decision to make a while back and I chose to use the 9000. I prefer my Macs to sit next to each other, so I swapped monitors between separate Macs every so often using one Apple VGA to DVI adapter and a VGA monitor.

The 9000 in my DA 466 runs smooth and without any issues.

4. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

As I said, connectors are not really an issue for me. I'm using an ADC display as the main display on my Quicksilver, and the secondary display is a 23" flat screen with both DVI and VGA in, so I can easily make it work with either.

At the same time, however, I keep one G4 at the same desk as my G5(currently one of my MDDs) and they both share the same 1080p flatscreen. That monitor also has both DVI and VGA, so I connect the G5 by DVI and the G4 by VGA then use the input select on the monitor to toggle between the two.

I also have a handful of DVI to VGA converters lying around-including a couple of the "official" Apple ones and a few generic ones-so making one input type into the other is not at all an issue.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Be careful not to abuse it. ;)

I say get a G5's ATI 9600 XT and modify it to work in a G4, you'll get CoreImage and the second best G4 ADC card: http://pistolerapost2.com/viewing/96002g4.html It's a whole heck of a lot cheaper than the GeForce 4 Ti and the ATI Radeon 9700. But if you must pick between the two card, the ATI 9000 would be slightly better, but still poor performing for Leopard.

6. robertdsc macrumors regular

robertdsc

As an aside, I have tried the Belkin ADC to DVI-D passive adapter in the 9000. I ran an HP 19 inch 1440x900(via Apple DVI to VGA adapter) & an HP 17 inch 1440x900 (via Belkin ADC adapter) through the card without any problems. The 17 inch monitor has a DVI-D port and it worked fine. It showed up in the System Profiler, too.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Trust me, I won't!

8. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

I'm in the same exact scenario with my QS. Leave stock 4MX or the 9000 from my MDD?

I took the card from the MDD. For a DVI port rather than VGA.

9. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial