Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eXan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
"NVIDIA Launches GeForce 7800 GTX Graphics Chips

As expected, PC graphics chip maker NVIDIA has officially launched its newest product, the GeForce 7800 GTX. Unlike some of NVIDIA's previous graphics chips which have had "paper" launches (announce the specs first with actual cards arriving a few months later), graphics cards for the GeForce 7800 GTX should be on sale now or very soon, according to an article at Tom's Hardware Guide. Specs for the card include eight vertex shading units, 24 pixel pipelines and SLI multiple card support. Prices for these cards will be on the high side with PNY offering a 1 Gig GeForce 7800 GTX for $679"

I bet that card is great :eek: . How long will it take to make one for PowerMac?

liquidtrance123

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2005
Cincinnati, Ohio
Probably quite awhile as i dont see one being made for AGP slots. So far all i'm seeing are PCI-E 7800's. However if they do decide to come out with an AGP version i would only guess a few more months before it hits for mac.

Chryx

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
liquidtrance123 said:
Probably quite awhile as i dont see one being made for AGP slots. So far all i'm seeing are PCI-E 7800's. However if they do decide to come out with an AGP version i would only guess a few more months before it hits for mac.

This is, as far as I'm concerned, potentially the biggest upside to OSX on x86.

not needing custom PowerPC-firmwared graphics cards, just buy any old PCI-E thing with a supported chipset, and it'll work.

carlos700

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2004
Omaha, NE
It is available now at NewEgg.com, the 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX for $599. The same price as the NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL. Although, current 7800 GTXs wont work in the current Power Mac G5.

liquidtrance123

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2005
Cincinnati, Ohio
kwajo.com said:
who the hell needs 1GB of video ram? someone planning on running multiple instances of Motion 2? :cool:
edit: nvm i actually read the entire thread. If they're offering a 1GB 7800GTX thats a ****ing steal compared to the huge price on the 512mb 6800.

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
Nividia has Confirmed previously in several articles (too lazy to find them) that the 7800 series will be made in AGP format. ATI has also stated that it's next generation R520 will be available in AGP format as well. Sure the PCI-E versions will ship first but the AGP versions are not far behind. I am pretty certain that the 7800 will make it to the mac and if not at least I am deffinitely certain that ATI will make it's R520 available for the mac.

SLCentral

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2004
Princeton, NJ/Ithaca, NY
Also important to note is the dual-link-DVI support, meaning PC users now have better access to the 30" Cinema Display. Before, they needed very expensive workstation cards...now they just need expensive gaming cards :p.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.