GeForce 7800 GS overheat issues

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mark8, Apr 29, 2014.

1. mark8 macrumors member

mark8

For some reason running a flashed EV3A GeForce 7800GS overheats my G5 and it shuts down(using an ATi Radeon 9600 is fine) . Running a BFG GeForce 7800 GS OC in the other G5 produces no overheating. Could the Power Supply be the culprit? I had tried adding a USB card and it gave me issues as well
    thx

2. bax2003 macrumors 6502a

bax2003

It could be that flashed EVGA has some problems with controlling its fan, so its spinning at lowest RPM....Maybe some 3rd party cooling could solve problem, with fan connected to the molex power, not from card's fan connector.

3. Realnanners macrumors member

Realnanners

I am here to help !

First thing could be your power could be going out (like what you said). I would unplug everything but the mouse and keyboard and leave it running on some kind of game running for about 25 minutes and if it heats up shut down the computer and let it cool ! Then later turn it back on and try YouTube For about 5 minutes. And it it over heats or shutdown you may need to buy a new power supply. Let me know how I did. :apple:realnanners

4. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Let me ask you this, does the heat sink on the video card get warm after a few minutes of usage? If so, it could be the card over heating. What does the console say?

It could also be the PSU in your PowerMac not having enough power to drive that card. What model do you have? I would also recommend, if adding a USB card caused the same problem, looking at a replacement PSU. I recently replace the one in my G5, and it wasn't too hard. I paid around $20-$30 shipped.

5. mark8 thread starter macrumors member

mark8

7800 GS overheat

Sorry just got a chance to look at your solutions.
    Thank you for the replies, I will give them a try them