GeForce 8800 GT vs others - 3D Game results

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by barefeats, Feb 14, 2008.

1. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

We just posted results for Quake 4, Prey, and UT2004 for the GeForce 8800 GT versus two other mac pro graphics cards (1920x1200 High Quality):
    http://www.barefeats.com/harper8.html

We hope to add WoW, Doom 3, and Halo by this weekend.

If you have a GeForce 8800 GT or Radeon HD 2600 XT in your "early 2008" Mac Pro, have some games other than those we tested, and can run benchmarks (timedemo, etc.) at 1920x1200 "High Quality," please post your findings here.

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Can you post the EFI/BIOS Geforce 8800 GT ROM?

Trying again for the nth time.

3. Kuraudo macrumors member

Yah, me too. I need that efi so I can finally run osx again.

Nice post. I think the UT doesn't get as much improvement because the way UT is setup, its already running fast and optimal for even lower end systems.

4. slackpacker macrumors 6502a

slackpacker

What are you talking about Try explaining what you are asking for... Because most people do not know what you are talking about.:confused:

5. adamzx3 macrumors regular

adamzx3

I believe he is talking about the drivers that are flashed into the hardware itself. The Mac version of the card has some additional stuff in there to make it work with the color EFI (or a more colorfull and graphical windows BIOS equivilent...BIOS being the black and white letters you see when starting up a PC that load up the operating system)

Please correct me if i'm wrong but that's how I understand it.

6. noi375 macrumors member

He is literally asking for something no one can really give him - currently, only fab houses, nVidia and Apple has the EFI for it, but why would they risk their own jobs to make someone on the net happy? And his tone certainly isn't helping the matter...

EFI is basically the same as BIOS - just different technology. Mac uses that instead of BIOS, as without the correct EFI, 8800GT from third party won't work on Mac.

7. barefeats thread starter macrumors 65816

barefeats

I'm not sure the webmaster of MacRumors would appreciate the posting of a contraband ROM dump on this site. There are some other sites that specialize in this underground endeavor.

8. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Question, barefeats, are you guys using AA in your benches?

9. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

As Barefeats said, he's asking for the firmware from the ROM on the card, which isn't the easiest to retrieve, in the first place. You'd need a program to read it off the card, and I don't think such things exist in MacOS X. You'd probably have to do it in Windows.

And like Barefeats said, it's not something you'd post on this forum.

10. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I am kindly asking people to post a EFI/BIOS dump of the ROM that resides on their newly purchased Geforce 8800 GT Mac compatible graphic card.

Chances are that if you do not know what it is you should not be fiddling around with it :)

11. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Sorry, it is probably one of the more simple, and pardon my language, bloody things to do.

Install ONE program and make an EFI/BIOS dump with a single push of a button.

I can see the point in not posting it directly on this forum though.

People are welcome to send me a private message.