GeForce 9600 in MacPro 1,1 - Anyone done it?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by zorinlynx, Jul 17, 2009.

1. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I want to upgrade the video card in my Mac Pro 1,1 (the first generation that came out in 2006). The "official" 9600 upgrade claims to require a latter generation Mac Pro.

I'm just wondering if anyone has successfully hacked the 9600 to work in the Mac Pro 1,1. I don't see why it shouldn't be possible; the machine has PCI Express 16x slots and the necessary power connector for the card!

I realize there's probably BIOS issues, but people have gotten strange hardware combinations to work, so I don't want to just "give up" without at least inquiring first.

Anyone have success stories? This machine still has a lot of life left in it, but the Radeon x1900XT that's in it is starting to get long in the tooth.

Oh, and working in OS X is a must. I'm not just doing this to play Windows games.

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

You are talking about 8800GT. The reason the card required a later Mac Pro is because that card only had EFI 64 bit firmware. The EFI on Mac Pro 1.1 and 2.1 is only 32 bits, while the ohers are 64 bits.
    Apple later made another version which had 32 bit EFI also. None of this matters anyway because the card is no longer manufactured or sold by Apple.

The EFI part is also why you can not take a PC card and just put it into a Mac.

I suggest you do some reading;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Firmware_Interface

Also on this forums are lots of workarounds for the EFI, like graphic injectors (netkas) or flashing.

Also, all this EFI **** is all about BOOTING with the card. You have to have to have OSX drivers to run a display too.
    You really can't think "oh, this thing fits here, then it surely must work"

I have not heard about any success with 9600.

3. netkas macrumors 65816

you can get a pc's 8800gt and flash it with mac's 32-bit bios

or, if u talking about 9600gt, look in the thread about PC's 285/260/275 in macpro

i guess u will need another nvidia mac card (7300gt) in pcie x4 slot, and 9600gt in x16 slot, and my ATY_init kext injector

4. vailance macrumors member

vailance

yeah i can sure that does work. ;)