Geforce GPU Power - 6 pin to Two Molex?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by energy23, Apr 9, 2014.

1. energy23 macrumors member

I bought an Asus Nvidia 660 GTX OC but it didn't come with the 6pin PCIE to 6pin Mini cable.

Does anyone know if a 6pin to two 4pin molex cable will work such as this one:

[​IMG]

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812887001

I dont use optical drives so both the molex cables are free to use. I'm on a 2008 Mac Pro.

Thanks!

2. NOTNlCE macrumors 6502a

NOTNlCE

For sure that will work, but there are PCIe power connectors on the Logic Board, I picked up a 6 pin power cable for my GTX 660 for about $6 on Ebay. Just another option if you don't want to bother with routing those cables.

3. energy23, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2014

energy23 thread starter macrumors member

Are you sure? Do the 6 pin molex connectors both have enough power on their own to supply the 660 with power or are the two molex connectors sharing from power from the PSU?

----------

Would this work too?

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=90&item_id=009187

Only reason why I need a workaround is because I'm gonna be dismantling the Mac Pro and putting it into a new case over the weekend (my current one is heavily damaged) and I'll have a friend helping me do the transfer, but we're also planning on doing a bit of LAN gaming as im bringing the whole rig to his place. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get the 6pin to 6pin mini cable by that time.

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Yes, same thing, just less pretty. Functionally the same.

5. energy23 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you!