GeForce GTX 280 on a mac pro??

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by edo10, Jun 16, 2008.

1. edo10 macrumors newbie

Hi i really don't know that much about hardware stuff but i was wondering if i could run a GeForce GTX 280 on my early 08 mac pro and keep the 8800GT for OSX? also I'm hearing stuff about BIOS flashing? and i was wondering if someone could explain that to me
    it says the GTX 280 needs 500 watts power supply is that possible cause i thought i heard that the mac pro only has like 300 watts
    so basically i don't know anything about anything!!:)
    anyway i know that this card is brand new but i get very excited about this kind of stuff and was just wondering if anyone knew anything about it

thanks!!

2. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

I dunno about the PSU requirements, but I'd think that if you're running it exclusively in windows, you wouldn't have to flash it. I could be wrong, though.

3. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

The Mac Pro's power supply is rated at over 1kWatt. Yes, over 1.000 Watts.

It is using server parts after all ;)

What you may have heard is that the combined watts supplied by the PCI-Express ports cannot exceed 300 Watt. Which is not important as the graphic card will get juice directly from the power supply.

I would, however, wait a week or two and see what kind of performance two Radeon HD 4850 in CrossfireX can deliver.

A hint can be found here

4. edo10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hay thanks for the quick replies! i was planning on waiting a little bit for the price to drop (hopefully:)) and also seeing to 4870 benchmarked
    does crossfire work on a mac pro? as i heard SLI doesn't and i thought it was basically the same technology

5. edo10 thread starter macrumors newbie

also i was just wondering if i have to disconnect the monitor and reconnect it with either the 8800GT for the mac and the GTX 280 for the PC side every time i want to switch operating systems
    thanks!

6. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

CrossfireX is supported in Windows on the Mac Pro. NVIDIA has forced Scalable Link Interface to only work on their own chipsets.

You would have to switch the monitor cable between the two graphic cards or even have to remove the Geforce GTX 280 to boot into Mac OS X.

7. edo10 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks very much this is really helpful just one last question!:eek:

If i have two monitors would i be able to hook one up to one of the graphics cards and a different one to the other?

thanks so much!

8. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Just butting in here, but I have a few GTX280's coming in tomorrow, mainly for my Windows machines but I should have a couple left over. Is there a shop that I can buy the Pro GPU cables over-the-counter in London?

9. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

You could probably buy the parts and make them.

I seem to recall reading an article that showed you exactly how to make a power cable for the Mac Pro. Let me have a trip down the memory lane and I will report back :)

Update: this article covers how to make the cable and here you can buy one from ATI.

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

how many are you buying?? :eek:

11. edo10 thread starter macrumors newbie

hi sorry but i have one more question:eek: if i want to flash the 280 what am i supposed to do? i really don't know anything about flashing
    is there any website that explains it? is it a software that flashes it or something i have to manually change on the card?
    I'm sorry that it's such a stupid question
    thanks!

12. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

The question is rather why you would want to flash it?

It will still not let you boot Mac OS X.

13. edo10 thread starter macrumors newbie

it doesn't? i thought that if you flashed it it would work on the mac side
    i thought that was why someone would flash it??

14. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

You can only flash something if there's already drivers for it, and in this case a. there aren't, and b. there most likely never will be. Unless you want to write drivers yourself. ;)

15. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

That and the problem with regards to availability of an EFI compatible rom to flash the card with.

16. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

There's also a practical issue. The card needs one 6-pin and one 8-pin connector. Not a huge issue for the DIYer but may be a problem for some.

I've decided to give the exercise in curiosity a miss for the time being. My Windows PC's are far better equipped to support this card properly.

17. kabunaru Guest

Custom-built or a PC Manufacturer one? What specs too?

18. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Custom built and ready-built.

The initial recipients of the 280's will be a Dell XPS 720H2C that I haven't got rid of yet and a couple of 5400XS based custom builds built by our tech guy. He's still sorting out the one on water, but the one on air is humming away nicely - and all of them should in theory benefit from 280's in SLI.

Hopefully the courier will attempt redelivery of the cards tomorrow, and during the weekend I'll be tipping out the Ultras from the 720 (assuming I can get power connectors sorted out) for starters to see how much improvement there really is.

19. kabunaru Guest

Sesshi, from reading your posts, you seems to be very anti-Mac. What makes you dislike the Macs so much and prefer the PCs? Are all Macs bad to you in terms of quality?
    Sorry, but I just want to know. Thanks. :)

20. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

The specific reasons are long and varied. However it does mostly boil down to the engineering quality of the hardware. Apple is superb at the superficials which is clearly making a lot of you out there very happy, but I'm definitely not convinced by how well they can engineer a PC to perform as it should.

21. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

The main reason for flashing a video card is to allow one designed for the PC to be used on the Mac. However as others have stated there has to be a driver for the card. For instance you can buy an 8800GT card for the PC a lot cheaper than Apple charges. You can flash the EFI chip to allow the Mac to use it (with the drivers for the Mac version of the card).
    Does all that make sense?

22. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

There's no doubt Apple have QA issues but... take the Mac Pros for
    example. Most of the stuff in them hasn't been engineered by Apple.
    It's just bought in. What does Apple need to do to ensure that stuff
    they don't make, e.g., stuff made by the likes of Intel and ATI, is of
    the right quality?

23. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

The motherboard specifications, the cooling specifications, etc are all up to Apple. We're not talking about individual components here - parts fail sometimes, it's fact. I'm talking about the system as a whole and Apple's inability to engineer it to address any use beyond what I've come to suspect as their core customer base - people who do very little.

24. kabunaru Guest

Is there any Mac that you think is good or good enough in terms of this?

25. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

To be honest, I would just ignore him.

I can't, at this time, find a system that is better assembled than the Mac Pro. It's clean and very accessible. Good looking too.