Geforce GTX 285 mac

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by migllusma, May 18, 2012.

1. migllusma macrumors newbie

Hello, I need help from somebody, I recently bought a geforce GTX 285, it was meant to be for mac but I believe it is a pc card made to work on a mac.
    Here is the problem. The card works successfully under snow leopard. However when I installed Lion, the mac freezes during booting, the scrolling wheel appears frozen and stays like this.
    I did a clean installed, same results.
    My question is how can I get the card to work under Lion, I have installed the drivers from nvidia page, but did not help and I got same result.
    Maybe the rom of the card was old and I would have to put a new one but I don't know.
    The card is the geforce GTX 285 BFG version.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. olemoley macrumors newbie

Does the boot screen show up ok when you boot into Snow Leopard?

Which Mac Pro version do you have? 1,1/2,1/3,1/4,1/5,1
    You can check by clicking the Apple and selecting 'About this Mac' then 'More info' and the Model Identifier will tell you which one you have.

3. migllusma thread starter macrumors newbie

gtx 285

Hello Thanks for your reply,
    my mac is a mac pro from early 2008 3,1.
    in Snow Leopard the boot screen shows up as normal, and everything works
    In Lion it looks like it boots, however at some point it freezes, the scrolling wheel just stop turning and everything is frozen.
    The point is that if the card works on snow leopard why it would not work on lion? do you know how to fix this?

4. olemoley macrumors newbie

I don't know how to fix it but I do have a GTX 285 that was flashed myself and it does work ok on Lion.

There is only one Mac GTX 285 ROM revision as far as I'm aware.

Possibly the card is defective.

An alternative is that a connected accessory is causing a KP so try removing all USB and Firewire leads except for the Keyboard and Mouse. If you have the Apple Display with built in USB disconnect it as that's know to cause KP's.

5. migllusma thread starter macrumors newbie

geforce gtx 285 mac

Hey,
    I doubt the card is defective since it works fine in snow leopard.
    that is the estrange part of it, it works with snow leopard but not with lion. When you installed yours did you do a clean install with the card inside the mac already? what is the rom version you have on your card?

6. olemoley macrumors newbie

7. migllusma thread starter macrumors newbie

geforce gtx 285 mac

I have the same.
    If you are using Lion, when you installed it did you have to install drivers for it? I did install them but did not help.

8. olemoley macrumors newbie

I didn't install any drivers initially, just ran the Lion installer and everything worked fine.

Can you check the logs and see what it's hanging on?

9. MacVidCards Suspended

I have seen this before once or twice.

Hard to imagine but it does happen.

You should politely contact the vendor and ask for help.

If you installed some extra kexts, it might be that but if you haven't been doing that it could be exactly what it looks like, a slightly squirely card.