Gelaskins/Decal Girl question about front

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by cello2456, Jul 23, 2010.

1. cello2456 macrumors regular

I just got my Decal Girl skin for my iphone 4. The back and sides look awesome. The front looked great, especially with the downloaded screensaver, but I hated feeling the ridge around the edge of the screen.

Are there any skins that have the clear screen saver built into the middle? That way you would have full screen protection but not have to feel any uneven areas.

Thanks. I have looked at the various sites, but so far have come up with nothing. I really noticed the ridge when playing Angry Birds and swiping the screen.

2. Steveo47 macrumors regular

i think that would be to expensive to make. My suggestion would be to buy a screen protector, put it on, and then put your skin ontop.

3. GTghost macrumors regular

4. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Clevuh!

5. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

That's what DecalGirl recommends doing. It won't help with the feel of the raised edges though. I've got them on my phone, iPad, and Kindle; over time, I've stopped noticing the edges for the most part.

6. cello2456 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I did install the decal over top of a screen protector and it looked fine, but I could not get used to the raised edge. I ended up taking the front decal off and just left the back and sides and wallpaper. I have a couple of clear cases on order, so at least the back decal will show through.

7. mistertomlinson macrumors 6502

Just installed it and it was worth every penny. It looks even better than I thought it was and the pieces are 99.9 % accurate. You can see just a sliver of antenna along the sides if you look closely, but I probably could have done a better job.

The DecalGirl comes with a piece for the home button, but I'm not so sure they intended for it to be used as the home button. I think they just didn't bother removing the cutout. Using it makes the home button kinda spongy.

It actually looks better in person, but I decided the front vinyl wasn't my taste so I removed it and only left the back and sides.

As for the reception problem, I was convinced it helped a lot, at first... I can always go from 5 bars to 1 holding the phone in my palm, but after installing the skin, I could only get it down to 4 bars. I was thrilled, but a second stab at it and I was able to lose all but one bar.

(I plan to copy and paste this in a couple other threads, word for word, but I don't work for DecalGirl. I have seen very little info on the iPhone 4 DecalGirl skins, so I thought I'd contribute by sharing my experience)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

When I just ordered my gelaskin they gave me the offer to add two screen protectors (one full front and one cut to fit between the skins) for 7 bucks. I decided I would give it a try and I am hoping the cut to fit one will avoid the edges.

9. icecrystal23 macrumors 6502

What if you put a screen protector over the decal? Might not work great, but maybe worth a try anyway?

10. C-Boo macrumors newbie

I Like

11. Srud22 macrumors newbie

Solution

Just buy a screen protector, and put the square screen cutout from the dacalgirl skin on it. Then cut it out take of the piece and put in place over the screen. This is what I did and it works great!