Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

n0de

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Has anyone successfully upgraded the harddrive of their 1st generation MBA?

If so, what make/model?

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2008
There aren't any thing bigger than 80GB that will work in the Air. Do a search and you'll see A LOT of talk about this.

ansontin

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2008
Is it possible to find the sata cable for 1st gen Macbook Air to replace the hard drive ?

ansontin

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2008
I found that the 1st gen Macbook Air is using a PATA connector to connect to the motherboard, and it is unique and special (thin like a paper). However, the 2nd gen Macbook Air is using a SATA connector. Is it possible to have 3rd party vendor to sell the SATA connector for 1st gen Macbook Air, therefore we can upgrade hard drive with SATA ? Any comment or ideas ?

TheRiseofTheFal

macrumors regular
May 9, 2008
Lexington
instead of special adapters or the like, does anyone currently make hd's bigger than 80 gbs that utilize the PATA connection? I feel like the 120gb in the new classic uses this connection but can it be bought?

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
I found that the 1st gen Macbook Air is using a PATA connector to connect to the motherboard, and it is unique and special (thin like a paper). However, the 2nd gen Macbook Air is using a SATA connector. Is it possible to have 3rd party vendor to sell the SATA connector for 1st gen Macbook Air, therefore we can upgrade hard drive with SATA ? Any comment or ideas ?
pata is not sata

For those looking to upgrade the 1G MBA
Samsung HS122JB
Toshiba MK1231GAL (due out in november)
Both 120gb PATA/ZIF 5cm height single platter drives

fsosx

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2008
Forget the MK1231GAL.

I tried for hours to make it work.

I always get an I/O error when trying to format it. Drive is seen as a Toshiba MK1231GAL, you can even zero it but when it comes to format it, I got no luck.

I tried using Disk Utility and fdisk (terminal). It looks like the commands are working and saved but whenever you quit fdisk nothing is really saved to disk.

By the way, I get the same results using a PC...

FYI

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Apparently the new SATA drives in the Rev B notebooks are LIF SATA.

Which is a Zif cable similar to the REV A PATA zif.

It may be difficult finding a SATA Lif drive outside of OEM at this time.

note: You can see LIF written very clearly on the new SATA drive in a photo posted here in an earlier thread.

fsosx

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2008
The drive has a ZIF connector.

Strangely, you can zero the drive, meaning you can write to it. The drive identifies itself as a Toshiba MK1231GAL but even using fdisk you can't alter the disk geometry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.